Chatham University

Fact Book:
General Information & Administration

University Mission Statement

Chatham University prepares women and men to be world ready: to build lives of purpose and value and fulfilling work.

In addition to appropriate professional skills and liberal arts learning, Chatham believes that world readiness means being an informed and engaged citizen in one's communities; recognizing and respecting diversity of culture, identity and opinion; and living sustainably on the planet.


The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Therapy Association, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, the Council on Social Work Education, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board, the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education, and the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant. The teacher education program is recognized and approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

Presidents of Chatham University

Black, Reverend James 1870-1875
Strong, Reverend Thomas 1875-1878
Pelletreau, Helen E. 1878-1881 Acting
Pelletreau, Helen E. 1881-1894
DeVore, R. Jennie1894-1900
Martin, Chalmers 1900-1903
Martin, Dr. Samuel1903-1906
Lindsay, Henry Drennan1906-1914
Acheson, Dr. John Carey1915-1922
Coolidge, Cora Helen1922-1933
Marks, Mary Helen1933-1935 Acting
Spencer, Herbert Lincoln 1935-1945
Anderson, Dr. Paul Russell1945-1960
Eddy, Dr. Edward 1960-1977
Arthurs, Dr. Alberta1977-1982
Guthrie, Claire 1982-1983
Stafford, Dr. Rebecca 1983-1990
Brown, Louise 1991-1992
Barazzone, Dr. Esther 1992-


1869Founded as Pennsylvania Female College
1890Renamed Pennsylvania College for Women
1955Renamed Chatham College
2007Designated Chatham University by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania


Chatham University includes the Shadyside Campus, with the historic 39-acre Woodland Road arboretum and Chatham Eastside facility; and the 388-acre Eden Hall Campus north of Pittsburgh.