Falk School of Sustainability & Environment Faculty and Staff
Sherie Edenborn MT (ASCP), Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
Hometown : Sheffield, PA
Joined Chatham : 2008
Academic Areas of Interest
Microbiome and Human Health; Organic and Sustainable Agriculture; Environmental Remediation.
Personal Areas of Interest
Yoga, Hiking, Biking, Gardening, Traveling, Theater, Enjoying Local and Sustainable Food and Wine and my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
I was born and raised in northwestern Pennsylvania in the small town of Sheffield. I have a diverse background in both allied health science and ecology. Over the past two decades, I have taught microbiology to future nurses, physician assistants and medical doctors at a variety of colleges and Universities. I also have worked as an environmental microbiologist for the U.S. Department of the Interior and a medical technologist at various hospitals. My research interests are interdisciplinary and deal with questions that require an understanding of both human biology and ecology. My current research projects involve evaluating the potential benefits of probiotic bacteria for people with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Anorexia Nerovsa, and the relationships between the oral microbiome, exercise and mental health. I also just finished writing book for NASW press about reproductive decision making with colleague and friend Dr. Melissa Bell (Social Work Professor).
- Ph.D., West Virginia University, 2007
- M.S., Biology, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, 1990
- B.S. Biology (summa cum laude) & Medical Technology, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, 1987 & 1997
- Reproductive Decision Making: Acting to Help Clients. 2018. NASW Press. M.M. Bell and S.L. Edenborn.
- Amendment of a hardwood biochar with compost tea: effects on plant growth, insect damage and the functional diversity of soil microbial communities. 2018. Biological Agriculture & Horticulture. Edenborn, S.L., Johnson, LMK. , Edenborn, H.M., Albarran-Jack, M.R*., Demetrion, L.D.* Volume 43(2). https://doi.org/10.1080/01448765.2017.1388847
- Passive detection of Pb in water using rock phosphate agarose beads. 336:240-248. 2017. Journal of Hazardous Materials. H.E. Edenborn, B.H. Howared, J.I, Sams, D.J. Vesper, S.L. Edenborn
- Microbes at the Table: The Role of the Gut Microbiome and Related Nutritional Interventions in the Treatment of Anorexia Nervosa. 2017. The Integrated RDN. 19(4):89-98. K. Stephens-Bogard and S.L. Edenborn.
- Elevated salivary IgA, decreased anxiety, and an altered oral microbiota are associated with active participation on an undergraduate athletic team. 2017. Physiology and Behavior. 169: 169-177. Ashley L. Lamb, Debra E. Hessa, Sherie Edenborn, Elizabeth Ubinger, Andres E. Carrillo, Pierette M. Appasamy
- Influence of biochar application methods on the phytostabilization of a hydrophobic soil contaminated with lead and acid tar. 2015. Journal of Environmental Management. 150:226-234. Edenborn, S.L., Edenborn, H.M, Krynock*, R.M, Zickefoose Haug*, K.L. (*Undergraduate authors)
- Integrating biology into social work education using interdisciplinary, character-driven case studies. 2014. Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work. Edenborn, S. L. and Bell, M. M. 19 (1):97-114.
- Relationships among contrasting measurements of microbial dynamics in pasture and organic farm soils. 2011. Applied and Environmental Soil Science. Article ID 537459. . Edenborn, S.L., Sexstone, A.J., Sutanto, Y., Chapman, J.
- DGGE fingerprinting of culturable soil bacterial communities complements culture-independent analyses. 2007. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 39 (7):1570–1579. Edenborn, S.L. and Sexstone, A.J
- Bacterial preferences of the bacterivorous soil nematode Cephalobus brevicauda (Cephalobidae): effect of bacterial type and size. 2007. Pedobiologia. 50 (1): 55–64. Salinas, K.A., Edenborn, S.L., Sexstone, A.J., Kotcon, J.B.
- Microbial diversity in soil: A microscopic world under every footstep. 2006. In: McKinstry, R.B., Ripp, C. and Lisy, E. (Eds.) Biodiversity Conservation Handbook: State, Local, and Private Protection of Biological Diversity, Environmental Law Institute Press, Washington, DC. Pp. 159–173. Edenborn, H.M. and Edenborn, S.L.
- Monitoring iron and manganese diagenesis in constructed wetlands with continuous gradient gels. 1993. Biohydrometallurgical Technologies 1:631–639. Edenborn, H.M., Brickett, L.A., Dvorak, D.H. and Edenborn, S.L.
- Treatment of metal-contaminated water using bacterial sulfate reduction: results from pilot-scale reactors. 1991. International Conference on the Abatement of Acidic Drainage. Montreal, Canada, pp.301–314. Dvorak, D.H., Hedin, R.S., Gustafson (Edenborn), S.L. and Edenborn. H.M.
- Medical Technology - American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP)
- Gamma Sigma Delta, Honor Society of Agriculture (2007)
- Provost Fellowship, Kent State University (1992)
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists Outstanding Student Award (1987)
- Penn State University Student Travel Award to Symposium in Plant Physiology (1987)
- Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society (1986)
- Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society (1984)
- Grant: West Virginia Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (WVEPSCoR) Instrumentation Grant, “Real-time Graphing and Analysis Modules to Promote Inquiry-based Learning in Physiology and Environmental Science Classes,” $19,721, December, 2007.
- Edenborn, S.L., Johnson, LMK, Edenborn, HM. (2014). Ecological restoration strategies for and abandoned sulfuric acid recycling factory soil with heavy metal contaminants Ecological Society of America 96th Annual Meeting “From Oceans to Mountains,” August 10-15, Sacramento, CA.
- Edenborn, S.L., Monahan, L.D. (2013). Effects of Microbial Communities Associated with Biochar and Compost Teas on Plant Growth and Insect Herbivory, Ecological Society of America 98th Annual Meeting “Sustainable Pathways: Learning from the Past and Shaping the Future,” August 4- 9, Minneapolis, MN.
- Berg, L. Edenborn, S.L. (2013). A Stochastic Emergence Model: Accounting for Genetic Noise in the “Scout Cell Model” of Dormancy Emergence, Biophysical Society 57th Annual Meeting, February 2-6, Philadelphia, PA.
- Edenborn, H.M., E. Klunder, M. Keller, D.Luebke, and S. L. Edenborn (2009). Preliminary Evaluation of Coal- and Biomass-Derived Chars as Beneficial Soil Amendments. 2009 International Annual Meeting of the ASA-CSSA-SSSA: Footprints in the Landscape: Sustainability through Plant and Soil Science, Nov. 1-5, Pittsburgh, PA.
- "Life + Dirt = Soil: Linking Microbial Biodiversity to Soil Structure and Function," University of Pittsburgh Colloquium Series in Geology and Planetary Science, March 18, 2010.
- Edenborn, H.M., D.J. Vesper, and S.L. Edenborn (2009). Detection of Lead Mobilization From Soil at An Abandoned Sulfuric Acid Recycling Plant Using Rock Phosphate-Immobilized Gel Beads. 2009 International Annual Meeting of the ASA-CSSA-SSSA: Footprints in the Landscape: Sustainability through Plant and Soil Science, Nov. 1-5, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Edenborn, S.L. Y. Sutanto, J.A. Chapman, and A.J. Sexstone (2009). DGGE Fingerprinting of Cultivable Bacteria as a Potentially Valuable Indicator of Soil Perturbation. 2009 International Annual Meeting of the ASA-CSSA-SSSA: Footprints in the Landscape: Sustainability through Plant and Soil Science, Nov. 1-5, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Teter, M.A., S.L. Edenborn, H.M. Edenborn, and S.K. Owen. (2008). Nutritional similarities between mannitol salt negative bacteria isolated from the nasopharyngeal cavities of college athletes. Abstract # , 108st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Edenborn, S.L. and A.J. Sexstone. (2006). Characterization of soil bacterial communities on culture plates using denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis of the 16S rRNA gene. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Chapman, J.A., S.L. Edenborn and A.J. Sexstone. (2006). Modification of bacterial communities in a pasture soil by the feeding activity of earthworms. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Edenborn, H.M., S.L. Edenborn, B. Ji, J.H. Doherty, and B. B. Casper. (2005). Observations on the relationships between bacteria and grasses at Eastern serpentine barrens and Midwestern prairie sites. Annual meeting of the Allegheny Branch of American Society for Microbiologists, Clearfield, PA.
- Friedland, J.M., S.L. Edenborn, and A.J. Sexstone. (2004). Diversity of microbial populations within a constructed wetland treating wastewater. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Seattle, Washington
- Edenborn, S.L., Y. Sutanto, J. Chapman, and A.J. Sexstone. (2004). Culture-dependent assessment of bacterial diversity in northern West Virginia soils. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Seattle, Washington.
- Salinas, K.A., J.B. Kotcon, and S. L. Edenborn. (2003). The effects of a bacterial biological control agent on taxis of Clarkus papillatus in a laboratory bioassay. Annual Meeting of the Society of Nematologist, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
- Edenborn, H.M., L.A. Brickett, D.H. Dvorak, and S.L. Edenborn. (1993). Monitoring manganese diagenesis in constructed wetlands with continuous gradient gels. International Biohydrometallurgy Symposium, Jackson Hole, WY.
- Edenborn, H.M., L.A. Brickett, D.H. Dvorak, and S.L. Edenborn. (1992). Monitoring manganese diagenesis in a constructed wetland using continuous gradient gels. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting. Cincinnati, OH. (Received best poster award).
- Gustafson (Edenborn), S.L., R.S. Hedin and H.M. Edenborn. (1991). Rates of iron and manganese removal in waters from wetlands receiving acid mine drainage: The role of indigenous microorganisms. Gordon Research Conference in Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH.
- Gustafson (Edenborn), S.L. and S.A. Jatkar. (1991). Algal taxonomy of coal mine drainage sites and correlation with drainage chemistry. Abstract # 141. The Fourth International Phycological Congress, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina.
- Gustafson (Edenborn), S.L., and H.M. Edenborn. (1991). Biological removal of manganese in acid mine drainage by a mixed algal-bacterial community. Abstract # 54, 91st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Dallas, Texas.
- Gustafson (Edenborn), S.L., R.S. Hedin, R.W. Nairn and H.M. Edenborn. (1991).The importance of bacterial-iron oxidation and sulfate reduction in wetlands constructed to treat acid mine crainage. Symposium on the Biogeochemistry of Wetlands, Center for Wetland Resources, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Edenborn, H.M., D.H. Dvorak, R.S. Hedin, and S.L. Gustafson (Edenborn). (1990). Treatment of metal-contaminated water via bacterial sulfate reduction in wetlands and pilot-scale reactors. National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Program, Breckenridge, CO.