Optional Practical Training - STEM Extension
The STEM OPT extension is a 24-month period of temporary training that directly relates to an F-1 student's program of study in an approved STEM field.
Eligible F-1 students with STEM degrees who finish their program of study and participate in an initial period of regular post-completion OPT (often for 12 months) have the option to apply for a STEM OPT extension.
Procedures for applying for STEM OPT-Extension
- Download STEM OPT- Extension information
- Complete form I-983 with employer
- Contact OIA Office regarding applying for STEM OPT - Extension, and submit forms to OIA. OIA must receive a complete I-983 form in order to process the STEM OPT- Extension I-20. If you are in the area, you may set up a meeting to go over your documents.
- After application packet is complete, mail to appropriate USCIS office.
STEM OPT-Extension Information:
- https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/assets/stem-opt-hub/story.html (how to complete the I-983 form)
Please contact the Office of International Affairs at email@example.com with questions.