Admitted ELP Student
Obtaining Visa Information
- Apply for English Language Program at Chatham University.
- After Admission to Chatham and confirmation of finances, I-20 or DS-2019 is sent.
- Contact closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for visa appointment and instructions. You will need your I-20/DS 2019 and passport to make your visa appointment. Many embassies now require you to make an appointment online. You may check the visa wait times on the U.S. State Department website. You will need to pay your visa fee before your appointment.
- Pay I-901/SEVIS fee.
- Go to appointment with I-20 or DS-2019, Chatham admission letter, proof of payment of I-901 (SEVIS) fee, financial documents and other documents the Embassy or Consulate requests. Please see the document “10 Points to Remember When Applying for an F-1 Nonimmigrant Visa" or "10 Points to Remember When Applying for a J-1 Nonimmigrant Visa"
- Return to embassy or consulate for visa
- Arrive in U.S. no more than 30 days before start date on I-20 or DS-2019. (You must arrive before your start date). Please see welcome letter for earliest day you can arrive in campus housing.
Please click here for information for Canadian citizens. Canadian Landed Immigrants will follow the procedure above.
The Office of International Affairs is here to answer any questions you have about the visa process. Once you arrive there will be a workshop on maintaining your status as an F-1 student at Chatham University.