Employment Information for International Students
F-1 students at Chatham University have different several employment we have put information on the website to help get you ready to come to Chatham University and Pittsburgh. We know that it is a big decision to study so far from home and it is our goal to help you and make you feel comfortable about coming to Chatham. Below is some information to help you get ready to come to the U.S., Pittsburgh and Chatham.
- On campus employment - Students on F-1 visas are allowed to work on campus. F-1 students and federal work study students have first priority for on campus positions. Employment opportunities available on campus are listed on NACElink. You will need to create an account to access these positions. Per Chatham University regulations, all students are only allowed to work 16 hours per week during the academic year.
- Off campus employment - There are three options for F-1 students to work off-campus.
- Curricular Practical Training - It is off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students who have been studying in the U.S. for at least one year. It allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience in their field of study, prior to the completion of their academic programs. CPT may only be used while taking classes. Authorization is granted by the university. Information sessions are held at the beginning and end of semester.
- Optional Practical Training - It is off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students who have been studying in the U.S. for at least one year. Almost all students save their OPT time to use after graduation. Students receive 12 months of OPT at each level of education - Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. Authorization is granted by USCIS. Information sessions are held at the beginning of each semester.
- Severe Economic Hardship - It is off-campus employment authorization for F-1 student who have been studying in the U.S. for at least one year who have and/or are experiencing financial difficulties. Please contact the International Student Services Coordinator for more information.
- Finding Jobs or internships
Please contact, Vivian Yamoah at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 412 365–1267 with questions about being at Chatham as an international student.