Master of Education in Special Education (M.Ed.) Admission Requirements
The following are required for admission to the M.Ed. in Special Education program:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- One current teaching certification in an area of elementary or secondary education.
- Overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale (Probationary admission may be granted for applicants with a GPA of less than a 3.0 who show promise through their other achievements)
- Completed application for admission, including:
- Completed and signed application form
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Resume and/or additional supporting information on professional or volunteer activities
- Two letters of recommendation
- Admissions essay
- Payment of a non-refundable $45 application fee (no fee is required for the online application)
Application deadline for SPRING entry: November 1
Application deadline for FALL entry: June 1
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all individuals who interact with children in Pennsylvania schools to obtain three types of clearances: Act 34 (PA Criminal), Act 151 (Child Abuse), and FBI Criminal History Report. Form PDE 6004 also must be completed for any person entering a school. These are required for all Chatham field placements including observations and student teaching.
More information regarding these clearances is available on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website at http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/certifications/7199 and click on "Background Checks" in the left-hand menu.