MFA Creative Writing
Faculty and Staff
Adjunct Faculty Member
Hometown : Ames, IA
Joined Chatham : 2007
Academic Areas of Interest
Poetry, drama, playwriting, theater, Slam, Spoken Word, The Oral Tradition, hip hop, American Indian Studies, Latino Studies, ethnic studies, multicultural studies, intercultural studies, literature, nonfiction, pedagogy, technology, new media, the beat generation, American counterculture
Personal Areas of Interest
parenting, art, music, travel, hiking, people
Jim Coppoc makes his living through some murky but evolving balance of poetry, pedagogy, playwriting and performance. In addition to his long history on the slam stage, Coppoc has recently been getting a lot of good attention from the literary world, with 4 Pushcart nominations last year alone. Coppoc teaches English and American Indian Studies at Iowa State University, and lives in Ames, Iowa with his wife and two sons.
- MFA, Creative Writing (Interdisciplinary Focus), Hamline University
- MA, English (dual specialization in Lit and Creative Writing), Iowa State University
- BA, Psychology and English, Buena Vista University
- Council Fires: a Sourcebook for American Indian Studies. El Cajon, CA: National Social Science Press, 2010.
- Reliquary. Chicago: Fractal Edge Press, 2009.
- Manhattan Beatitude, 1997. Ames, IA: One Small Bird Press, 2009.
- Bearing the Pall: Pittsburgh: One Small Bird Press, 2007.
- Blood, Sex and Prayer: Chicago: Fractal Edge Press, 2005.
- Slams, Rants, Etc. Ames, IA: Question Mark Publications, 2003.
- Whiff and Other Poems. Des Moines, IA: Creative Impulse, 2002.