Digital Convergence Through a
Cinematic LensThe MFA in Film and Digital Technology program is focused on advanced project work in a range of media production areas, principally film/video, DVD and the Web. It is designed to extend and develop students’ experience and knowledge in the field of media production and their understanding of creative and critical practice within the media industries.
Students in this MFA graduate program are encouraged to explore the ways boundaries between previously separate forms of media production are blurring. Students will focus on developing their understanding of how emerging concepts such as interactivity, connectivity and convergence of emerging technologies such as DVD and interactive video are creating new creative possibilities, production processes and delivery systems for more traditional forms of media production, such as film and video.
One of few accelerated programs in U.S. that includes both film and digital technology:
- Designed to extend and develop students’ experience and knowledge in the field of media production and their understanding of critical and creative practice
- Includes research components which place student work in broader social, historical, cultural, and theoretical contexts
- Flexible options customize activities according to individual interests
- Small class sizes, many held during the evening
- Classes taught by nationally and internationally recognized filmmakers
- Degree can be completed in one year
- Intersections with Pittsburgh’s vibrant film, literary, and arts scene
- Collaboration with Pittsburgh Filmmakers
(some additional fees apply to production-based courses)
The Film and Digital Technology graduate program is mainly project-based, with students collaborating on a range of media productions. Students have the ability to customize their activities according to their interests and specializations. The program includes research components, where students are asked to place their production works in broader social, historical, cultural and theoretical contexts. Particular emphasis is placed on industry, and students who complete the MFA will have a high level of industry readiness, with a realistic and well-informed sense of the career possibilities in this rapidly changing area.