Occupational Therapy (MOT) Faculty and Staff
Sharon Novalis PhD, OTR/L
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2014
Academic Areas of Interest
Evidence-based practice, neurosciences, gerontology, mental health, community-based intervention, clinical leadership
Personal Areas of Interest
Sharon enjoys creativity and the outdoors especially through gardening, bird-watching, and biking. Sharon also enjoys spending time with her family, her pets, and her books.
Sharon received her Associate in Science Degree in Occupational Therapy from the Community College of Allegheny County. Sharon received her Bachelor of Science Degree in General Studies and her Master of Science Degree in Occupational Therapy from Misericordia University. Sharon earned her Doctorate of Philosophy in Rehabilitation Sciences from the University of Pittsburgh. Sharon has provided occupational therapy in a variety of settings including hospital-based physical rehabilitation and hospital-based mental health facilities. She has also practiced in long term care facilities, home health, and school-based settings and has served in clinical and administrative capacities. Sharon served as adjunct faculty in Community College of Allegheny County’s Occupational Therapy Assistant Program as a lab instructor and as an assistant to the Fieldwork Coordinator and Research Assistant/Associate for the University of Pittsburgh’s Occupational Therapy Program. Her research has focused primarily on stroke rehabilitation, intensity of therapy interventions and functional outcomes. Sharon has co-authored an article related to clinical pathways and orthopedics which was published in a national journal. Sharon has presented at state and national occupational therapy conferences and speech-language-hearing conferences.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2013
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy, Misericordia University (Dallas, PA), 1997
- Baccalaureate in General Studies, Misericordia University (Dallas, PA), 1997
- Associate in Science in Occupational Therapy, Community College of Allegheny County (Monroeville, PA) 1992
- Novalis, S.D., Messenger, M.F., and Morris, L. (2000). Occupational Therapy Benchmarks within Orthopedic (Hip) Critical Pathways. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 54 (155-158).
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association
- Clinical Topics: Community College of Allegheny County and Kaplan Institute (2009-2012)
- OT Seminar: Occupational Therapy in the Skilled Nursing Environment, University of Scranton, (2009)
- Occupational Therapy and Wellness. American Stroke Awareness Day, Pittsburgh, PA (2001)
- Evidence-based Patient Education for the Stroke Survivor. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Philadephia, PA. (2001)
- Performance-based Assessment of Older Women with Osteoarthritis, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Assocation Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA (2000)
- Assessing Independence, Safety, and Adequacy in Older Women with Osteoarthritis. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Seattle, WA. (2000)