Occupational Therapy (MOT) Faculty and Staff
Emily Eckel OTD, OTR/L, CHT
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2007
Academic Areas of Interest
Physical Disabilities, Hand Function, Musculoskeletal Injuries, Ergonomics, Universal Design, Accessibility and Evidence Based Practice
Personal Areas of Interest
Traveling, doll making, woodworking and gardening
- O.T.D, Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2010
- M.S. Occupational Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, 2003
- B.S. Occupational Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, 1994
- B.F.A. Architecture, Carnegie Mellon University, 1971
- Community Dwelling Elderly American Women and Meal Preparation, August 2012, Physical and Occupational therapy in Geriatrics.
- Preliminary investigation of an instrumented glove for in-home hand therapy. Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America annual conference, 2012 conference proceedings.
- Robust Tracking of the Upper Limb for Functional Stroke Assessment, Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2010, Volume 18, Number 5.
- Recent Trends in the Development and Evaluation of Assistive Robotic Manipulation Devices. (2010) Allin, S., Eckel, E., Markham, H., & Brewer, B.
- Chatham University Faculty Technology Fellow 2011-2013
- Regional Seating Specialist, Randomized Clinical Trial on Preventing Pressure Ulcer Development, University of Pittsburgh, 2005-2007
- Clinical Consultant for PHD students research, Carnegie Mellon University, 2005-2007
- Clinical Preceptorship Mentor, UPMC Rehabilitation Hospital, 2004
- Research Therapist, A Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Reliability & Clinical Meaningfulness of Seven Functional Tasks in Poststroke Subjects with and without Wrist and Finger Flexor Spasticity, Allergan, 2003
- Research Therapist, A Multi center Study to Evaluate the Responsiveness of Functional Tasks on Patients with Poststroke Upper Limb Spasticity Receiving a Double Blinded Placebo Controlled Botox Treatment , Allergan, 2003
- Student Reflections on the OTD Experience, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, September 29, 2012
- Protocol Analysis as a Tool to Explore Functional Assessment Heuristics, Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America annual conference, 6/14-18/2011
- Recent Trends in Outcome Measurements of Adaptive Equipment AOTA annual conference, 4/29-5/2/2010.
- Use of Occupational Strategies to Promote Independence with Food Related Occupations for Women who are Aging in Place, Chatham University Professional Doctorate of Occupational Therapy Capstone Project Presentation, 4/22/2010
- What you Need to Know about Basic Statistics, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Oct 2010
- OTR Participation in Research Studies at the Assessment and Intervention Level, AOTA Annual Conference, April 2009
- How to Understand and Apply the Results of a Journal Article, AOTA Annual Conference, Aoril 2009
- OTR Participation in Research Studies at the Assessment and Intervention Level, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference (Philadelphia, PA), October 2008
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy Clinical Applications, continuing education seminar, University of Pittsburgh, 2002
- An Interdisciplinary Approach to Constraint Induced Movement Therapy and Motor Learning, Cont Ed seminar, Youngstown, Ohio 2002
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy: Outpatient Program Development, Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, 2001