MS Counseling Psychology
Faculty and Staff
Joellen Popma Ph.D.
Hometown : Wyoming, MI
Joined Chatham : 2011
Academic Areas of Interest
College Students; Threat Assessment in University Settings; PTSD; Supervision and Training; Group Training; Psychodrama. Research area is based on university responses to potential threats in the community. Currently collaborating with Dr. Cynthia Magistro on self-compassion research.
Personal Areas of Interest
I am an avid sea kayaker who is out on the water the first day of January-Thanksgiving and have had several kayaking trips in Alaska. I also enjoy long-distance rails2trails cycling and ornithology.
I came to Chatham College after 17 years working as a psychologist in counseling centers in both small and large universities. Most recently, I was the Associate Director of the University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center where I was actively involved not only in clinical work but also the supervision and training of clinical staff and student trainees.
- Ph.D, University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY) 1995
- M.A., The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH) 1983
- B.S., The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH) 1981
- Popma, J. (1995). The impact of psychologists’ knowledge, attitudes, and training on survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Kentucky, Lexington.
- Remer, R., Morse, H.B., Popma, J., and Jones, S. (1993). Spontaneity training and psychodrama with Alzheimer’s patients. Journal of Group Psychotherapy, Psychodrama, and Sociometry, 45(4), 131-138.
- Taylor, K.M. & Popma, J. (1990). An examination of the relationship among career decision-making, self-efficacy, career salience, locus of control, and vocational indecision. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 37(1), 17-31.
- Licensed Psychologist in Pennsylvania and North Carolina
- American Society of Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama
- APA Division 56 Trauma Psychology
- APA Division 34 Society for Environmental, Population, and Conservation Psychology
- APA Division 44 Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Issues
- APA Division 17 Counseling Psychology
- American Psychological Association
- Popma, J. & Brooks, J.G. (2012). “The Dilemma of the Ecologically Concerned Consumer”. Presented at the American Society for Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama, Jersey City, NJ. April 19-23, 2012.
- Brooks, J.G. & Popma, J. (2011, accepted). Seeing red: Considering Williams’ passion and patience as gateways to an ecopsychological pedagogy. Poster session for the annual meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Pittsburgh, Pa, October 9-12, 2011.
- Taylor, K.M. & Popma, J. (1989). An examination of the relationship among career decision-making, self-efficacy, career salience, locus of control, and vocational indecision. Presented at the American Psychological Association National Convention.
- Popma, J. (1996). The impact of psychologists’ knowledge, attitudes, and training on survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Symposium: Delayed Memory Issues and Counseling Sexual Abuse Survivors: Research Findings. Presented at the American Psychological Association National Convention, Toronto, Canada.