Physical Therapy (DPT) Faculty and Staff
Michelle Criss PT, DPT, GCS
Hometown : Springfield, VA
Joined Chatham : 2012
Academic Areas of Interest
Geriatric Physical Therapy, frail older individuals with multiple co-morbidities, balance and falls, wound care
Personal Areas of Interest
Dance, photography,hiking, travel, and, most importantly, spending time with my family
Dr. Criss has been practicing in the area of geriatric physical therapy for over 18 years. The setting in which she has the most expertise is skilled nursing, but she has also practiced in inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient, adult day programming, and home health. She joined the core faculty in 2012 after serving as lecturer and adjunct since 2007. Her physical therapy training occurred at the Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University and she received her transitional DPT from the University of Pittsburgh in 2010. Missy received her specialization in Geriatric Physical Therapy in 2001 and re-certified in 2011. She is currently enrolled at Nova Southeastern University working towards her PhD in Physical Therapy.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2010
- MS, Physical Therapy, Medical Collge of Virginia (Richmond, VA), 1995
- BA, Biology and Psychology, University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA), 1992
- Criss M and Takacs S. Rehabilitation of hip fractures across the continuum of care. Top Geriatr Rehab. 2013; 29(4): 281-293.
- Certified Geriatric Clinical Specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, American Physical Therapy Association
- Clinician-Educator Award, Chatham University Physical Therapy Program, 2011
- Geriatric Special Interest Group Award of Excellence, Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association, 2009
- President's Award, Section on Geriatrics, American Physical Therapy Association, 2009
- Director and creator, Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency Program, Centers for Rehab Services, Pittsburgh, PA
- Delegate, American Physical Therapy Association House of Delegates, 2009-2012
- Item Writer, Geriatric Specialization Academy of Content Experts, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, 2010-2013
- Nominating Committee, Section on Geriatrics, American Physical Therapy Association, 2011-2014 (chair, 2013-2014)
- Chair, Regional Course Committee, Section on Geriatrics, American Physical Therapy Association, 2002-2009
- Criss M and Schwartz S. “Falls and rehabilitation after hip fracture.” Invited presentation. Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association Southwest District Mini-Combined Sections Meeting, March 2013.
- Strunk E and Criss M. “Are you a frustrated SNF therapist? What you can do to influence change.” Peer-reviewed presentation. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, January 2013.