Arts Management Faculty and Staff
Karen Dajani Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication
Hometown : Pittsburgh, Pa.
Joined Chatham : 1980
Academic Areas of Interest
First Amendment rights and the media, Media stereoptypes (Arabs, people with disabilities) Gender differences in communication. Environnmetal reporting.
Personal Areas of Interest
Fishing, skiing, shotgun sports, cruising(US Coast Guard licensed Captain)
Karen Dajani teaches courses in Human Communication, Media History, Persuasion, Intercultural Communication and Research Methods. She also provides instruction to the professional community in the areas of presentation skills, business writing, listening skills and business etiquette. Clients include: Society of AUtomotive Engineers, USX, Carnegie Mellon Univeristy and Sewickley Hospital. Dajani has been the recipient of three Fulbright Awards for Senior Scholars and has taught in Cameroon and Morocco. She participates in the State Department's Academic Specialist Program, through which she has taught throughout sub-saharan Africa and in Haiti. Dajani completed over ten years of service on the board of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting, and is the past President of the Board of Directors of the FISA Foundation, which serves the needs of women, girls and people with disabilities in Western Pennsylvania.
- Ph.D. Temple University 1979, MA, American University in Cairo Egyp t 1977, BA Marymount College 1975
- Studies in Popular Culture, October 1999. "Islam in Time:1944-94" (co author Dr. Christina Michelmore)
- Applied Environmental Education and Communication, 12:1,46-54 "Wolf Wars:Online Information About Wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountains"
- "What's in a Name?"Terms used to Refer to People With Disab ilities" Disability Studies Quarterly Fall 2001, "Islam in Time:1944-94" Studies in Popular Culture, Oct. 1999 co-authored with Dr. Christina Michelmore, "Hawa: Arab Women's Magazines" Journalism Quarterly Spring 1982, "Cairo:the Hollywood of the Arab World" Gazette, 1981.
- Recipient of two Fulbright Awards for Senior Scholars, 1983-84 and 1988 - 89.
- Fulbright Award for Senior Scholars 1983, 1989, and 1993
- American Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication, Popular Culture Assn., Fulbright Alumnae Assn.
- Board of Directors, FISA Foundation 1995 - 2006. Board President 1999-2006
- Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corp. 1986 -98
- Media Terms Used to Refer to People with Disabilities, Popular Culture Assn. New Orelans, 2002.