Biology Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the major, students will be able to:
- Write well on exams, short paper, long papers and laboratory reports.
- Make oral reports of varying lengths, either alone or as part of a team.
- Prepare and present posters at scientific meetings.
- Exhibit critical thinking when reading texts, lecture supplements, and other materials.
- Prepare a literature review and a bibliography on a topic in biology.
- Obtain relevant information from primary sources in a library or online.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the broad core of biology.
- Recognize and use connections of biology to chemistry, computing, mathematics and statistics.
- Use ethical scientific methods in obtaining and evaluating data.
- Demonstrate proper methods in the design and conduct of research.
- Use microscopes, balances and other basic biological equipment.
- Prepare solutions and dilution series.
- Perform dissections and organism identification.
- Demonstrate safety in the laboratory.
- Make proper disposal of wastes.