Chemistry Faculty and Staff
Robert B. Lettan II Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Hometown : Rochester, NY
Joined Chatham : 2009
Academic Areas of Interest
Synthetic organic chemistry, specifically in the areas of alkaloid synthesis and chiral memory methodology development.
Personal Areas of Interest
I am so fortunate to have a beautiful wife, Janna, a rambunctious son, Teddy, and spirited daughter, Bebe. I also have two Tibetan-terriers, Charlie and Doc. In addition to spending time with them, I enjoy mountain biking, skiing, hiking, and home renovation.
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2007-2009. Research with Dr. Peter Wipf.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Northwestern University (Evanston, IL), 2007. Research with Dr. Karl A. Scheidt.
- B.S. Chemistry, Otterbein College (Westerville, OH), 2002. Research with Dr. Dean Johnston.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Galliford, C. V.; Woodward, C. C.; Scheidt, K. A. “Amide Enolate Additions to Acylsilanes: In Situ Generation of Unusual and Stereoselective Homoenolate Equivalents.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 8805-8814.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Woodward, C. C.; Scheidt, K. A. “Stereoselective Synthesis of Highly Substituted gamma-Lactams From Acylsilanes.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 2294-2297.
- Dieringer, J. A.; Lettan, R. B., II; Scheidt, K. A.; Van Duyne, R. P. “A Frequency Domain Existence Proof of Single Molecule Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 51, 16249-16256.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Milgram, B. C.; Clark, C. T.; Scheidt, K. A. “Synthesis of Acylsilanes from Morpholine Amides. Synthesis of 1-(Dimethyl(phenyl)silyl)propan-1-one.” Org. Syn. 2007, 84, 22-31.
- Voges, A. B.; Stokes, G. Y.; Gibbs-Davis, J.; Lettan, R. B., II; Bertin, P. A.; Pike, R. C.; Nguyen, S. T.; Scheidt, K. A.; Geiger, F. M. “Insights into heterogeneous atmospheric oxidation chemistry: Development of a tailor-made synthetic model for studying tropospheric surface chemistry.” J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 1567-1578.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Reynolds, T. E.; Galliford, C. V.; Scheidt, K. A. “Multicomponent Reaction of Acylsilanes, Enolates, and Alkyl Halides: Stereoselective Synthesis of Tertiary-ß-hydroxy Amides.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 15566-15567.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Scheidt, K. A. “Triethoxysilane (Update).” The Electronic Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis 2006.
- Lettan, R. B., II; Scheidt, K. A. “Lewis Base-Catalyzed Additions of Alkynes Using Triethoxysilylalkynes.” Org. Lett. 2005, 7, 3227-3230.
- Cottrell College Science Award (Research Corporation), 2011-2012
- Chatham University Research and Sabbaticals Committee Grant, 2011
- Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh College Equipment Grant, Chatham University, 2010
- Faculty Technology Fellow, Chatham University, 2010-2011
- National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, 2008-09
- Edmund Gelewitz Award, Northwestern University, 2006