Education Faculty and Staff
Josh Slifkin Ed.D
Adjunct Faculty Member
Hometown : Pittsburgh
Joined Chatham : 2004
Academic Areas of Interest
Reflective writing, the ethic of self-care in student learning/writing, (authentic) assessment practices, post-structural theory and Foucault...
Personal Areas of Interest
Writing, music, literature, technology
Josh earned his doctorate in Education from Duquesne University. He teaches English and Creative Writing at Allderdice High School in Squirrel Hill, where he also serves as the school's Site Liaison for student teachers and student observers. He helped to rewrite and revise the English 3 AP and English 4 AP curricula for the Pittsburgh Public Schools in advance of the 2007 AP Audit. He is the English 4 Lead Writer for the Pittsburgh Public Schools' current revision of its Core Curriculum. He has also been an active member of the NCTE and its regional affiliates. Josh was born in Pittsburgh and graduated from Allderdice High School.
- Ed.D., Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2000
- M.S. in Education and Secondary English Teaching Certificate, Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 1996
- M.A. in English, Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA), 1994
- B.A. in English, Hobart Collge (Geneva, NY), 1991
- . “Similar literary quality”: Demystifying the AP English Literature and Composition open question. Alan Review, 37(2), 6-16. (2010). Miller, sj & Slifkin, J.M.
- "Writing the Care of the Self: Higher Order Thinking in Reflective Journals." English Leadership Quarterly. August (2001)
- "Alternative Methods of Assessing Student Writing," Bridges: A Publication of theWestern Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of English (2000).
- "Mixing Memory and Desire: Some Reflections on Student Teaching and Teacher Education," English Journal, February (1997)
- Pennsylvania Teaching Certificate: Secondary English
- Conference of English Leadership, English Leadership Quarterly, Best Scholarly Publication of the Year, 2002
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Lead Writer, English 4 Curriculum Revision, Pittsburgh Public Schools, 2007-2008
- Committee to Rewrite AP English Language Curriculum, Pittsburgh Public Schools, 2007
- Committees on AP Curriculum Audit (English Literature and English Language), Pittsburgh Public Schools, 2006-2007
- Curriculum Design, PA Cyber Charter School, Midland PA, 2005
- Chaired and participated in symposium on "Reflective Journals: From the Care of the Self to a Care of the Curriculum" at the 14th Annual Ethnographic and Qualitative Research in Education Conference, Duquense University, June 2002
- Presented a paper on "E-Discourse" at the Founding Conference of the Cultural Studies Association (U.S.), Carnegie Mellon University, June 2003
- Chaired a session and presented a paper on "Teaching Between the Lines: Graphic Novels in the English Classroom" at the 95th Annual NCTE Convention, David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2005