Environmental Studies Faculty and Staff
Renee Falconer Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Hometown : Bessemer, PA
Joined Chatham : 2001
Academic Areas of Interest
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC), 1994; B.S. Chemistry, Grove City College (Grove City, PA), 1990
- When Learning the Hard Way Makes Learning Easy:Building Better Lab Note-Taking Skills. J. Chem. Ed. (2010), J. MacNeil; R. Falconer.
- Determining the solubility product of Fe(OH)3: an equilibrium study with environmental significance, J. Chem. Ed. (2008), M. Meighan, J. MacNeil, R. Falconer
- Vapor pressures and enthalpies of vaporization for toxaphene congeners, J. Chem. Eng. Data (2003), T. Bidleman, A. Leone, R. Falconer
- “Air-Soil and Air-Water Exchange of Chiral Pesticides” in Pesticide Science: Environmental Fate and Effects (2003), T. Bidleman, A. Leone, R. Falconer, T. Harner, L. Jantunen, K. Wiberg, P. Helm, M. Diamond, B. Loo
- Chiral pesticides in soil and water and exchange with the atmosphere, Scientific World (2002), T. Bidleman, A. Leone, R. Falconer, T. Harner, L. Jantunen, K. Wiberg, M. Diamond, P. Helm, B. Loo
- NSF research grant (co-PI) - Persistent Organic Pollutants in the Antarctic Marine Food: Impact of Climate Change and Insights into the Feeding Ecology of Apex Predators (2009)
- Jane Berger Advising Award for Faculty (2006)
- Interviewed for TV news brief, ES&T, Audubon and Science News articles on research into pollutants in children’s toys, February 2006, December 2005, June 2006 and December 2005.
- Interviewed for various articles on research into pesticides in organic produce, Science News, December 2005, ES&T news section, January 2006.
- Recognized in Today’s Chemist at Work article as chiral pollutant expert, August 2003.
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award, U.S. EPA, June 2001.
- Interviewed for ES&T Environmental News section as expert on chiral pollutant analysis, January 1996.
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- American Chemical Society
- Cochran, M.; Falconer, R.; Dickhut, R. “Persistent Organic Pollutants in Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus thynnus) from the western North Atlantic.” Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Conference, New Orleans, LA, November 2009.
- J. Luek, R. Dickhut, M. Cochran, R. Falconer, H. Kylin. “Persistent Organic Pollutants in Air over the Atlantic and Southern Oceans.” Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Conference, New Orleans, LA, November 2009.
- McMullen, S; Falconer, R. "Determining the efficacy of washing techniques for removing PBDEs and OC pesticides from children’s stuffed toys". American Chemical Society, Salt Lake, UT, March 2009
- McGuirk, M.; Falconer, R. "Levels of organochlorine pesticides in commercial potting soils." American Chemical Society National Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, March 2009
- E. Ulrich, R. Falconer. “Using enantiomer fractions of POPs to characterize contamination, degradation, and sources.” Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 2007.
- J. Anderson, A. Yousef, R. Falconer. “The Comparative Efficacy of Produce Washes for Removing Organochlorine Pesticides from Produce.” Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 2007.
- J. Burnett, A. New, R. Falconer. “Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers and Organochlorine Pesticides in Children’s Stuffed Toys.” Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 2007.