Mathematics (BA/BS) Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the major, students will be able to:
- Write well on exams, short paper, long papers and laboratory reports.
- Make poster presentations and oral reports of varying lengths, either alone or as part of a team.
- Exhibit critical thinking when reading texts, lecture supplements, and other materials.
- Prepare a literature review and a bibliography on a topic in mathematics.
- Obtain relevant information from primary sources in a library or online.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the history and broad core of mathematics.
- Recognize and use connections of mathematics to computing and science.
- Use ethical scientific methods in obtaining and evaluating data.
- Demonstrate proper methods in the design of algorithms and in the conduct of research.
- Use Maple, a software package for solving mathematical problems.
- Appreciate the value of proofs, logic, and applications in mathematics.
- Understand mathematical notation.
- Demonstrate skill with numerical, algebraic and calculus problem-solving, and in thinking spatially.