Psychology Faculty and Staff
Monica Riordan, Ph.D.
Hometown : St. Louis, MO
Joined Chatham : 2012
Academic Areas of Interest
Computer-mediated communication, Alignment, Cognition, Experimental psychology
- Ph.D, University of Memphis (Memphis, TN), 2011
- M.S., University of Memphis (Memphis, TN), 2008
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Missouri-Columbia (Columbia, MO), 2007
- B.A. in Sociology, University of Missouri-Columbia (Columbia, MO), 2007
- Kreuz, R. J., & Riordan, M. A. (in press). Exaggeration. In S. Attardo (Ed.), Encyclopedia of humor studies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Riordan, M. A., Markman, K. M., & Stewart, C. O. (in press). Communication accommodation in instant messaging: An examination of temporal convergence. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 32.
- Cornell, P. T., Riordan, M. A., Townsend-Gervis, M., & Mobley, R. (2011). Barriers to critical thinking: Workflow interruptions and task switching among nurses. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41, 407-414.
- Riordan, M. A., Dale, R., Kreuz, R. J., & Olney, A. (2011). Evidence for alignment in a computer-mediated text-only environment. In L. Carlson, C. Hoelscher, & T.F. Shipley (Eds.), Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2411-2416). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- Kreuz, R. J., & Riordan, M. A. (2011). The transcription of face-to-face interaction. In W. Bublitz & N. Norrick (Eds.), Foundations of Pragmatics (pp. 657-679). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Cornell, P. T., Riordan, M. A., & Herrin, D. (2010). Transforming nursing workflow, part 2: The impact of technology on nurse activities. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40, 432-439.
- Riordan, M. A., & Kreuz, R. J. (2010). Cues in computer-mediated communication: A corpus analysis. Computers in Human Behavior, 26, 1806-1817.
- Riordan, M. A., & Kreuz, R. J. (2010). Emotion encoding and interpretation in computer-mediated communication: Reasons for use. Computers in Human Behavior, 26, 1667-1673.
- Bartholow, B. D., Riordan, M. A., Saults, J. S., & Lust, S. A. (2009). Psychophysiological evidence of response conflict and strategic control of responses in affective priming. Journal of Experimental and Social Psychology, 45, 655-666.
- Riordan, M. A., Kreuz, R. J., & Olney, A. (November, 2012). Alignment is a Function of Conversational and Relational Dynamics. Presentation at the 53rd annual meeting of the Psychonomic Society in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Riordan, M. A., & Kreuz, R. J. (May, 2012). The communicative efficacy of email: The effect of situation and interpersonal context. Paper presented at the 2nd annual meeting of the Midwest Cognitive Science Conference in Bloomington, Indiana.
- Riordan, M.A. (February, 2012). Socializing via email: How are you feeling today? Invited talk at the Experimental Psychology Brownbag Talk Series in Memphis, Tennessee
- Riordan, M. A. (February, 2012). The art of communicating through computers: Encoding and interpreting messages in text-only environments. Honorary speaker at the 42nd annual meeting of the Mid-South Conference on Communicative Disorders in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Riordan, M. A., & Kreuz, R. J. (August, 2011). Expressing emotion online: What we've got here is a failure to communicate. Paper presented at the 17th annual meeting of the Cognitive Science Association for Interdisciplinary Learning in Hood River, Oregon.
- Riordan, M. A. & Markman, K. M. (July, 2011). Structural accommodation in persuasive instant messaging conversations. Paper presented at the 21st annual meeting of the Society for Text and Discourse in Poitiers, France.
- Riordan, M. A., & Kreuz, R. J. (April, 2010). Emotion expression online. In C. O. Stewart (Chair), Discursive management of potentially problematic communication. Paper presented at the 80th annual meeting of the Southern States Communication Association, Memphis, Tennessee.