A residence hall guest is considered to be any person who is not a resident of that hall. Chatham students not residing in the residence area in question are still considered guests of that residence area.
Visitation hours are as follows:
- Sunday through Thursday: 8:00 AM to 12:00PM (midnight)
- Friday and Saturday: 8:00 AM to 1:00 AM
Guests in the building past 12:00pm (midnight) Sunday through Thursday and 1 AM Friday and Saturday are considered overnight guests.
The following guidelines have been established to ensure a comfortable and safe community environment in the residence halls:
- Visitation must always be with the mutual consent of all roommates. RA staff is available to assist roommates with establishing a room/apartment visitation agreement upon request or need.
- All guests must be signed in and signed out of the residence halls, including Chatham students not residing in the hall they are visiting. Guest must show picture ID when signing in and should be able to produce picture ID on request of a university staff member.
- Residents are responsible for signing in and signing out their non-Chatham guest. All guests must be signed in with a first and last name. Residents failing to sign in guests are subject to disciplinary action, including a residential fine. Residents shall not sign in guest(s) for other Chatham residents. Guests visiting apartments located on Fifth Avenue are not required to sign in and out. Nonetheless, guests on these premises must be escorted at all times while inside the apartment building and should carry picture ID.
- A Chatham residential student guest may sign into any residence hall as long as she is a guest of a member of that community or restricts her activities to the first floor common area. This privilege will be revoked if the student displays disruptive behavior in the residence areas.
- Guests must be escorted at all times by their host. This includes Chatham students who do not reside in campus housing. No exceptions.
- Guests must abide by all residence hall regulations and community standards. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action against their hostess and also the guests(s).
- Residents are responsible for the action of their guest(s), including policy violations.
- Resident students may have no more than 5 guests at any given time.
- Resident students may have overnight guests, but only with roommate consent. (Except for fall term first-year students who cannot host overnight guest(s) until the evening of Chatham Eggnog). Please see First-Year Guest Policy.
- Resident students may have no more than two overnight guests at one time.
- Overnight guests may stay no more than three consecutive nights in the residence halls and for no more than two weekends each month. Residence Life staff will use disciplinary action if a guest has been in the residence hall beyond the stipulated three consecutive nights and visits overnight for more than two weekends each month.
- Cohabitation is not permitted. Visitation is a privilege that can be taken away if abused.
- Guests are not permitted individual access to the University's facilities, including laundry machine and kitchens. They may only use these facilities in conjunction with their student host but never for their personal usage.
- Guests cannot be left alone in their host's room or apartment while their host is away for an extended time (this includes while the hostesses are in class). Such action leaves guests unescorted.
- Resident students must have permission from a GRD, AC, or AD to have a guest under the age of ten.
- Residence halls or apartments shall not be used for baby-sitting.
- Paid entertainment is not permitted in residence hall rooms unless approved by the Director of Residence Life.
- Exceptions to the Guest Policy can be made through a building's GRD, AC, or AD with advance notice.
First-Year Student Guest Policy
Fall-term first-year students are not permitted to have overnight guests until the evening of the traditional Chatham Eggnog (the first Friday of December). This includes family members. This policy is firm unless there are unusual circumstances, which are approved by the building's AC or GRD. This includes Chatham students sleeping over in other students' rooms and family members.
Guests of fall term, first-year students must leave the residence hall by midnight on Sunday night through Thursday night and by 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. Guests may not return to campus until at least 8:00 a.m. the following day. All other visitation regulations apply to first-year students.