Chatham Apartments is located at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Maryland Avenue adjacent to campus. Chatham Apartments feature 36 apartments for upperclass undergraduate and graduate Chatham students. Upperclass undergraduate students may reside in one of Chatham Apartments' four towers. Each tower features two-bedroom apartments that accommodate three students.
Fickes Hall, a historic mansion, was built in 1927 and renovated into a residence hall for Chatham University in 1946. Situated on the picturesque southeast rise of campus, Fickes houses over 100 residents in a renovated mansion. Fickes is a vibrant hub of activity. The first floor includes quiet study space among the built in bookshelves of the dining room, a comfortable television room and a great outdoor courtyard. A baby grand piano and traditional furniture fill the living room with places to study and have rich conversation. Fickes also provides apartment living for upperclass students with the convenience of being close to academic and administrative buildings on campus. Fickes Hall will be all-women for the 2015-2016 academic year and home to the Women's Leadership Living Community.
Marjory Rea Laughlin House
Marjory Rea Laughlin House, built in 1912, was originally home to James Laughlin, the president of the University's first Board of Trustees. In 1967 the residence was donated to the University and became a home for 32 students. The architectural features are true to the time period it was originally built, including a beautiful entrance hall, wooden staircases, and leaded stain glass windows.
Laughlin House is home to the Cultural Living Community, and will be co-ed by floor beginning Fall 2015. This housing option is open to all students who are interested in becoming more culturally and globally aware. The goal of this community is to foster a cultural exchange between all residents of the house. Students, faculty, and staff collaborate to plan activities that will expose the residents to the differences and similarities that exist among cultures. Laughlin houses students in single, double, triple, and quad occupancy rooms. All students who wish to live in Rea House must apply to be part of the Living Community. New students can apply when completing the roommate questionnaire after depositing.
Julia and James Rea House
The Julia and James Rea House was donated to Chatham University in the late 1960s, but was built in 1912 by James C. Rea. With its rich wooden paneling and many fireplaces, the 23 room brick home is similar in model to a large English country house reflective of the early twentieth century time period. . Rea House accommodates 28 first year and upperclass students and provides a living/television room, dining room, kitchen area and laundry facilities.
Rea House is the home of the Rachel Carson Environmental & Sustainability Living Community, and will also be co-ed by floor beginning Fall 2015. Named after the 1929 alumnae, Rachel Carson, this is a special housing option is open to all students interested in becoming more environmentally aware. The students who reside in this living community share an interest in participating in a environment which focuses on sustainable and green practices. Students work closely with staff and faculty to plan activities which focus upon different aspects of living a green lifestyle. Rea houses students in single, double, and triple occupancy rooms. All students who wish to live in Rea House must apply to be part of the Living Community. New students can apply when completing the roommate questionnaire after depositing.
Situated in the heart of campus, Woodland Hall was constructed in 1909. Woodland houses over 100 student residents in single and double occupancy rooms. This residence hall is located at the edge of the academic quad, and directly across from the library. The Woodland sun porch is the beautiful and comfortable lounge area that is the heart of the building. Woodland has fully accessible facilities and is the only residence area on campus to include an elevator. Woodland Hall will be all-women on the 2nd & 3rd floor and all-men on the 4th floor beginning Fall 2015.