BSN to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN-DNP) Faculty and Staff
MaryDee Fisher , DNP, RN, CPN
Hometown : Pittsburgh
Joined Chatham : 2014
Academic Areas of Interest
Nursing Education; Pediatric Nursing Practice; Interprofessional Education & Practice; Professional Value Development; Academic Peer Review
Dr. Fisher’s interest in advancing nursing practice has been career long and impacts all levels of educational preparedness for nurses. She is passionate about incorporating this concept into her teachings and clinical practice. She has over 35 years of experience in nursing, including neonatal and pediatric critical care, as well as community education. In addition to over a decade and a half of faculty experience, she has held positions as a staff nurse, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Training and Education Specialist, as well as a Case Manager. She has published on numerous topics related to her scholarly endeavors. During her lengthy employment at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, the hospital newsletter spoke of her unwavering commitment to the children and families for whom she provided care. She remains active on the Evidence Based Practice Council at Children’s Hospital of UPMC. She serves on Chatham University’s Interprofessional Taskforce. She has been the Principal Investigator of three IRB approved studies and a co- investigator of another. Dr. Fisher’s primary service work includes the Secretary position for the Chi Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society. She is a member of the Society of Pediatric Nurses, Sigma Theta Tau and Carlow University’s DNP Alumni Association. She has volunteer experience through her local church, primarily serving the youth population.
- DNP, Carlow University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2011
- School Nurse Certificate, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA), 2000
- BSN, LaRoche College (Pittsburgh, PA), 1985
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Community College of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA), 1981
- Identified Needs of Parents in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: Critical Care Nurse (1994), Fisher, M.D.
- Visitation in Critical Care Units: Network News (1995), Fisher, M. D,
- Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury: Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, (1997), Fisher, M.D.
- A Comparison of Professional Value Development Among Pre-Licensure Nursing Students in Associate Degree, Diploma, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing Programs: Nursing Education Perspectives, (2014) Fisher, M. D.
- Robb, M., & Fisher, M.D. (2015).Functionality tools: Time management approaches for facilitating an online course in Moodle. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 10, 196–199. doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.teln.2015.05.002
- Hopkins, E., Robb, M., Fisher, M.D., Slade, J., Wasco, J., Spadaro, K., & Doas, M.(2016). Honor society membership retention strategies: Promoting membership benefits from induction through transition to professional practice. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 6(12), 18-23. DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v6n12p18
- Ullman, F. & Fisher, M.D. (2017). Application of the EBP Process: Maximizing Lactation Support with Minimal Education. Journal of Nursing Education, 33, 97-100. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2017.01.003
- Hopkins, E., Spadaro, K., Walter, L., Wasco, J., Fisher, M.D. & Sterrett, S. (2017) Incivility in the Online Classroom: A Guide for Policy Development. Nursing Forum, 52(4), 306-312. doi: 10.1111/nuf.12205
- Fisher, M.D. & Robb, M. (2017). Student Moderator: A Practical Application Exercise. Journal of Nursing Education, 56, (6), 383. doi:10.3928/01484834-20170518-13
- Fisher, M.D. et al. (2017). Perceptions of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and Patient/Family Satisfaction. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice, 8, 306-312. doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2017.07.004
- Certified Pediatric Nurse
- Cameo of Caring Recipient – Nurse Educator Award (2012)
- O.A.S.I.S. Award recipient from Children's Hospital of UPMC (2016)
- Recent past secretary and current member, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society; Secretary Chi Zet Chapter
- Member, Society of Pediatric Nurses
- Past Nominating Committee Officer, Pennsylvania League for Nursing, Area VI
- Varied presentation topics, at the local, regional, national and international levels prior to employment at Chatham.
- Fisher, M.D.,
- “Professional Value Development in Pre- licensure (ADN, Diploma, and BSN) Nursing Students”, at St. Margaret Annual Research Conference on May 23, 2014.
- Perceptions of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and the Correlation with Patient & Family Satisfaction Scores – Podium Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International 43rd Biennial Convention on November 10, 2015.
- Connecting the Dots: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice; Patient and Family Satisfaction Scores; and Implications for Practice – Poster Presentation at CHP 7th Annual Research Conference on May 6, 2016.
- Interprofessional Perceptions of Collaboration in a Pediatric Hospital Setting: An Academic/ Practice Research Partnership at 9th National Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference. October 5-7, 2016.
- Functionality Tools: Time Management Approaches for Facilitating an Online Course in Moodle at World Congress on Nursing and Nursing Education on September 7-9, 2017. Fisher, MD.
- Application of EBP Process: Maximizing Lactation Support with Minimal Education at World Congress on Nursing and Nursing Education on September 7-9, 2017. Fisher MD & Ullman, F.
- Perceptions of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and the Correlation with Patient and Family Satisfaction Scores at Greater Pittsburgh Nursing Research Conference on October 20, 2017. Sterrett, S. & Fisher, MD.
- Student Moderator On-Line Activity: Why, What and How! at Magna Teaching with Technology Conference on October 5 – 8, 2017. Fisher, MD & Robb, M