Nursing (MSN) Faculty and Staff
Julie Slade, DNP, RN
Assistant Professor, RN-BSN Program Coordinator
Hometown : Bethel Park, PA
Joined Chatham : 2010
Academic Areas of Interest
End-of-life/Hospice Nursing, Nursing education/Engagement in online education
Dr. Slade graduated from Chatham University's MSN program in 2008 and the DNP program in 2009 with her capstone project focus being End-of-Life Education for In-Hospital Nurses. Dr. Slade is currently an assistant professor of nursing and the RN-BSN program coordinator. Dr. Slade's professional areas of interest are end-of-life/hospice nursing and nursing education/engagement in online education.
- DNP, Chatham University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2009
- MSN, Chatham University (Pittsburgh, PA), 2008
- Slade, J., Robb, M., Sherrod, B., Hunker, D. (2017). Online adjunct faculty support: An innovative use of a learning management system. Nurse Educator, 42(3), 143-146.
- Hopkins, E.E., Robb, M., Fisher, M., Slade, J.D., Wasco, J.J., Spadaro, K.C., Doas, M. (2016). Honor society membership retention strategies: Promoting membership benefits from induction through transition to professional practice. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 16(12), 18-23.
- Hopkins, E.E., Wolf, D.M., Slade, J.D., Spadaro, K.C., Hunker, D.F., Doas, M.D. (2015) Creating a virtual nursing honor society: Key technology design considerations. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5(2), 131-135.
- Spadaro, K. C., Stevens, E. E., Doas, M., Wolf. D., Slade, J. & Hunker, D. F. (2014). A virtual nursing honor society: Recognition for online academic excellence. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 4(3), 197-203.
- Slade, J. D., Wolf, D. M., Spadaro, K. C., & Gazza, E. A. (2013). Using social media to meet the needs of DNP preceptors within an online program. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics, 17(2).
- ELNEC Certified
- 2017 Cameos of Caring Award
- Chi Zeta chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International
- Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Faculty Resource Network (FRN)
- Slade, J. (2018, March). The grieving worker. Podium Presentation at the meeting of the Pennsylvania Association of Occupational Health Nurses (PAAOHN) Annual Conference, Lancaster, PA.
- Walter, L. L., & Slade, J. (2017, November). Humanizing feedback in the online classroom – A technological approach. Poster presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Slade, J., & Walter, L. L. (2017, November). Using technology to decrease student isolation in online education. Podium presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Slade, J. (2016, December). Comparing Hospice to Palliative Care: Knowing the Difference is Important in Patient Care! Oral Presentation at the Madridge Conference Nursing 2016 International Conference on Nursing, Dubai, UAE.
- Slade, J. (2016, December). Live Practice Experiences in Online Nursing Education. Oral Presentation at the Madridge Conference Nursing 2016 International Conference on Nursing, Dubai, UAE.
- Slade, J. (2016, April). Identifying the Differences (and Similarities) between Hospice and Palliative Care. Oral Presentation at the League of Intravenous Therapy Education Vascular Access Network (LITEVAN) 2016 Annual Education Conference, Farmington, PA.
- Slade, J. (2016, March). Culture, Menstruation, and Women’s Health. Oral Presentation at the Association for Women in Psychology 2016 Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Slade, J. (2015, June). Understanding the culture of “The Curse”: Providing holistic care. Poster presented at the second annual Cultural Inclusion Institute Conference: Valuing the Culture of Women, Lake Buena Vista, FL.