Nursing Faculty and Staff
Kathleen Spadaro PhD, PMHCNS, RN
Hometown : Harrison City, PA
Joined Chatham : 2010
Academic Areas of Interest
Mindfulness meditation, wellness, weight managment and healthcare related issues; Psychiatric and behavioral healthcare
Personal Areas of Interest
Traveling, walking, reading, sports, spending time with family and friends
Part-time psychotherapy practice in Murrysville, PA since 2000 Asst. Professor, Nursing, West Virginia University, 2009 Asst. Professor, Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, 2008 Research Investigator, University of Pittsburgh, SON, 2005-2007
- BSN, Marymount University, 1981
- MEd, University of Virginia, 1986
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- Hanusa, B.H., Hudson Scholle, S., Hasket, R.F., Spadaro, K. Wisner, K.L. (2008). “Comparison of Three Instruments to Screen for Postpartum Depression: the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, the Depression Module of the Patient Health Questionnaire, and the Postpartum Depression Screening Scale”. Journalof Women’s Health, 17(4), 585-596.
- Cohen, S.M., Sereika, S., Stubbs, M., Spadaro, K., Greco, C. (2008). Meditation for Menopausal Symptom Relief. (Abstract) Proceedings of the National Cancer Institute, March 2008.
- Spadaro, K., Hamilton, R., Jakicic, J.M., Cohen, S. (2009). Taking Time Intentionally for the Self: Mindful Weight Loss. International Qualitative Health Research Conference, Vancouver, October 2009. Published in International Journal of Qualitative Methods. (2009), 8(4), 44.
- Davis, K., Jakicic, J.M., Otto, A., & Spadaro, K. (2008). The Impact of Mindfulness Meditation on Eating Behaviors and Weight Loss. (Abstract) 2008 Annual Scientific Meeting of The Obesity Society
- Kiser, L.J., Trachta, A.M., Bragman, J.I., Curley-Spadaro, K, Cooke, J.D., Ramsland, S.E., & Fitzhugh, K.E. (1998). Level II Standards of Care: Intensive Outpatient Programs. American Association of Behavioral Healthcare.
- Psychiatric & Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Chatham University Research and Sabbaticals Committee (2011) funding award for research support
- Chatham University NHS, President
- American Nurses Association, Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- National League of Nurses
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Established the Chatham University Nursing Honor Society, approved May 2011 by Student Affairs.
- Spadaro, K., Sward, K., Jones, B.L., Jeffrey, S., & Conroy, M.B. (2011). Impact of Primary Care Physical Activity Intervention on Physical Activity Levels and Psychosocial Measures in Middle-Aged Women: The Healthy Bodies, Healthy Hearts Study. Behavioral Medicine: Accelerating our Impact on the Pubic’s Health, 32nd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions. Poster presentation (Washington, D.C.), April 2011.
- Conroy, M.B., Sward, K., Spadaro, K., Jones, B.L., Jeffrey, S., Kriska, A.M., & Kapoor, W.N. Effectiveness of a Primary Care Physical Activity Intervention for Obese, Middle-Aged Women: 12-Week Results from the Healthy Bodies, Healthy Hearts Study. Society of General Internal Medicine, 34th Annual Conference (May 7, 2011), podium presentation by the PI, Molly Conroy, PI, (Phoenix, Arizona).
- Spadaro, K., Sereika, S., Jakicic, J.M., Cohen, S. (2010). Mindfulness Meditation: An Innovative, Additional Strategy for Weight Loss. 21th International Nursing Research Congress Focusing on Evidence-Based Practice. Orlando, Florida, July 2010.
- Spadaro, K. (2010, May) Mindfulness in Nursing and Healthcare. Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Annual Meeting, West Virginia University.
- Spadaro, K. (2009, Dec.) Mindfulness in Primary Care Nursing. WVU Practice Plan Monthly meeting
- Spadaro, K. (2007, March). Working Women’s Health: Mind, Body, Spirit. UPMC St. Margaret’s Hospital Nursing Staff, Aspinwall, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (2007, March) Working Women’s Health: Mind, Body, Spirit. UPMC St. Margaret’s Hospital Nursing Staff, Aspinwall, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (2006, Spring & Fall). Mindfulness Meditation. UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital’s Breast Cancer Support Groups, Pittsburgh, PA
- Spadaro, K. (2004-2005). Postpartum Depression Screening. UPMC Health Plan Quality Assurance Committee, UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital OB/GYN physicians and staff.
- Spadaro, K. (2002). Postpartum Depression- Screening Tools and Resources &Referrals for Women, Western PA Women’s Health Providers, West Penn Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (1998). Level II Standards, Intensive Outpatient Programs, Keynote address and leader of two roundtable discussion groups on Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program”, Ohio Ambulatory Behavioral Healthcare Association 7th Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Spadaro, K. (1995). Adolescent Treatment: A Continuum of Care Model, American Association for Partial Hospitalization’s National Conference, Denver, Colorado.