RN to Master of Science in Nursing (RN-MSN) Faculty and Staff
Susan Sterrett EdD, MSN, MBA
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2008
Academic Areas of Interest
Interprofessional education and practice, leadership, community health
Personal Areas of Interest
Reading history and fiction, gardening, knitting, walking my dog, Sean.
Personal Website : Visit Website
Susan E. Sterrett is Associate Professor of Nursing at Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Sterrett received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1975), her Masters of Science in Nursing (1992), and her Masters of Business Administration (1994) from Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. In 2008, she completed her EdD in Higher Education Administration from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Sterrett has 10 years experience in acute care nursing and six years as a visiting nurse. Her experience in teaching and educational administration includes four years full time at Carlow University and three as the graduate program director. Her research interest is in interprofessional education and practice, having completed a qualitative dissertation of the experience of participants in IP learning experiences. She is interested in the development of interprofessional communities of practice. She is active in the following organizations: Sigma Theta Tau, and the Association of Integrative Studies. She presently teaches in the DNP programs. Sue serves on the board of the Homewood Renaissance Association and is active in the development of health care opportunities in the community of Homewood and the current rebuild of a home to serve as a safe house for children in the area. She is active at the Fox Chapel Presbyterian Church currently serving on the Mission and Nomination Committees. She also volunteers at Johns Hopkins University leading a parent support team for parents of swimmers and calling local students admitted to JHU.
- 1975 Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Duquesne University
- 1992 Master of Science in Nursing, Duquesne University
- 1994 Master of Business Administration, Duquesne University
- 2008 Doctor of Education, Higher Education Management, University of Pittsburgh
- 2017: Hopkins, E. Spadaro, K., Sterrett, S., Walters, L., Wasco, J., Fisher, MD. Incivility in the online classroom: A Guide for policy development. Nursing Forum. Version of record online: 17 April 2017
- 2016: Zakhari, R., Sterrett, S. Attitudes toward evidence-based clinical decision support tools to reduce exposure to ionizing radiation. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners 09/2016; 28(12). DOI:10.1002/2327-6924.12402 2016:
- 2016: Schreiber J, Goreczny A, Bednarek M, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, and Sterrett S. Assessing self-reported interprofessional competency in health-care education: Impact of new curriculum. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences, 14(3), article 1
- Developing communities of interprofessional practice: Using a communities of practice framework for pre-licensure interprofessional education Nurse Educator. January 2015
- Interprofessional Learning as Third Space: Rethinking Health Profession Students' Development and Identity through the Concepts of Homi Bhabha. Humanities 2015, 4.
- . Schreiber J, Goreczny A, Bednarek M, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, and Sterrett S. (2014). The effects of a single event Interprofessional Education (IPE) experience on occupational therapy students’ attitudes toward IPE. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice.
- Bednarek, M., Gorezny, A., Hawkins, S., Hertwick, M., Schreiber, J., Sterrett, S. (2012)
- Assessing Self-Reported Interprofessional Competency in Health-Care Education: Impact of New Curriculum
- Becoming an interprofessional community of practice: A Qualitative study of an interprofessional fellowship, (2010) Journal of Research in Interprofessional Education and Practice and education,1(3)
- The Leadership journey: From belief to reality. (2010). Gazza, E. & Sterrett, S. Teaching and Learning in Nursing
- “Nursing case management” P. N. A. Vital Signs, 1997
- “What is nursing case management?” Hospital News, 1997
- Community Leaders Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Epsilon Phi, 1990
- Enid Goldberg Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Eta Chapter 1991
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- American Association of University Professors
- Southwest Pa. Organization of Nurse Leaders
- Center for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- Association of Integrative Studies
- Sigma Theta Tau, Epsilon Phi
- Adjunct Faculty Prescott College, PhD Mentor 2010 - Present
- Instructor, Carlow University August 2000 - May 2004
- Assistant Professor Chatham University, October 2008 - current
- Graduate Nursing Program Director, Carlow University, August 2000 - August 2003
- "Collaborating Across Borders II" International Conference on Interprofessional Education, May 2009.
- Sterrett, S. (1993). Case management modules. Presentation for Pennsylvania League for Nursing District 6 Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Sterrett, S. (1992). Peer review evaluation. Presented at Sigma Theta Tau Research Day, Penn State University, University Park, PA
- Sterrett, S. & Reiser, L. (2002). The Master of Nursing Leadership: A collaborative approach to educating nursing leaders. Poster presentation at the National League for Nursing Education Summit, Anaheim, CA.
- Sterrett, S. (2007). Forming Communities of Practice. Presentation at Collaborating Across Borders, University of Minnesota
- Sterrett, S. (2007). Forming Communities of Practice. Guest speaker at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine conference on interprofessional health education