Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Counseling Psychology
Chatham University’s Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Counseling Psychology is an integrative program which focuses on the professional and personal growth of students. The Chatham PsyD is distinctive for its focus on promoting sustainable health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities, informed by the science of psychology. A hallmark of the Chatham PsyD program is its recognition of the complex relationship between the well-being of individuals and the diverse environments touching their lives – families, schools, workplaces, communities, the natural world, and even national and global conditions.
Chatham’s PsyD is also designed to help students attain leadership roles in the profession and to access greater employment opportunities in more diverse settings. The PsyD is a professional doctorate that prepares students for practice as counseling psychologists. The program follows the practitioner-scholar model, offering, first, courses and practicum experiences related to the practice of psychology and, second, many opportunities to develop as scholars in the field. Graduates of the program are eligible for licensure as psychologists.
Promoting healthy environments at all levels will become a critical tool of the 21st-century psychologist. Chatham’s PsyD provides opportunities to study and work within the urban health care system and neighborhoods, in addition to participating in activities at Chatham’s Eden Hall Farm Campus. Students work together and find common solutions to problems affecting individuals and communities within different settings.
Facts for Prospective Students
- Full-time psychology faculty from diverse backgrounds with years of experience in teaching, practice, and scholarship
- Provides a unique focus on psychology for sustainable health and well-being
- Educates graduates to assume leadership positions in professional settings
- Full-time developmental cohort program – students admitted each fall
- Includes three years of course-work and practicum experience and a one-year internship
- Offers access to supervised practicum experiences within a wide array of behavioral health care facilities