Want to help build a happier, healthier and more equitable future?
Explore various sustainability careers during an unforgettable week-long experiential retreat at Eden Hall Campus–the world's first academic community built to be sustainable from below the ground up.
Open to rising 10th, 11th and 12th graders, as well as students leaving 12th grade, Chatham's Sustainability Leadership Academy provides the chance to:
- Make like-minded friends from across the country
- Explore Pittsburgh during excursions to the city's sustainable highlights
- Develop the leadership skills needed to be a change agent
- Experience a taste of college life and earn college credit (optional for an additional fee)
- Participate in hands-on experiential learning with faculty in the field
- Ask questions and gain mentorship from local leaders in the field
“I feel better equipped to educate not just my family, but our school and our community as well so they can be more sustainable.”
“I had no idea Pittsburgh was making such strides towards sustainability.”
“I feel like it's really easy and kind of realistic now to make change. So many people say 'I want to make change' and don't know how, but now I know how. So that's really cool. I also used to feel like the odd ball out, but now I feel a sense of purpose and community, which is really cool. And comforting.”
“SO MUCH FUN!”
“I definitely feel like I know a lot more now and I feel better prepared. I feel I have contacts and people to reach out to to ask questions and be able to be informed to make change. I definitely feel ready to be able to make change in my community.”
“It's so cool to see so many people from around this area doing all this. And it's pretty cool to see Pittsburgh doing all this stuff. I had no idea – I've lived here since I was born. And I feel a lot more capable of doing things now.”
Note: The schedule is tentative and subject to change. $150 deposit due upon registration. Balance due by June 30, 2018. Need based scholarships are available.
To apply for a need-based scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2018 with the subject title "SLA 2017 Scholarship Application" and attach the following documents:
- First two pages of 2017 Federal Tax Return
- Essay explaining student's interest in attending the SLA event and why student should be considered for the scholarship (2 pages max)
- Letter of recommendation from high school guidance counselor (optional but suggested)