Chatham University

Frequently Asked Questions

+ How can my student get more involved in campus activities?

With over 50 students organizations and events happening each night on campus – it’s hard not to get involved! The Office of Student Affairs, along with all its counterparts (Student Activities, Athletics, Student Health and Wellness and Residence Life), is committed to making sure all Chatham students enjoy their outside the classroom experience. At the beginning of the academic year each student is given an academic planner and handbook that has all the activities for the year on the calendar dates (if you would like to receive a copy of the Academic Planner/Handbook please email Students are also given a wall calendar at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters detailing what is happening each day.

Click here to view the Spring 2013 Activities Calendar!

+ Where can I park when I visit campus on the weekend?

Visitors to the campus are required to obtain and display a visitor parking pass except for parking in the designated two hour visitor parking spaces which are found in front of Mellon Center and in front of the Chapel. If obtaining a visitors pass, guests can park in the Terrace lot behind the Green House, or in the lots behind Laughlin, Rea and Beatty Houses. Visitor passes are not required for vehicles parking on campus between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, and all day on weekends and Holidays. Visitor passes cannot be used at the apartments on 5th Avenue and where restricted by sign and in accordance with posted time limits. Visitor passes are issued through the Public Safety Department, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Visitors to Student Services may obtain a visitor pass from the Student Services staff. Visitor passes are only issued to visitors of the University and are nontransferable. Each visitor is limited to two visitor passes per semester.

Click here to view the campus map!

+ Where can I stay when visiting for the weekend?

A list of local accommodations can be found here: The Courtyard Marriot and SpringHill Suites by Marriot at Bakery Square are the two closest hotels to campus.

+ Do students at Chatham have any interaction with the other local colleges/ universities?

One of the benefits of studying at Chatham is our membership in the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education, a consortium including Chatham, Carlow University, Carnegie Mellon University, Community College of Allegheny County, Duquesne University, La Roche College, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Point Park University, Robert Morris University, and the University of Pittsburgh.

All Chatham students may cross-register with any other PCHE institution for one course each semester. There’s no additional tuition charge and full credit and grade are transferred to Chatham. It’s an incredible way for Pittsburgh college students to broaden their education while getting to know students from other schools. And two of the largest PCHE schools – Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh – are in walking distance of Chatham.

There are also several events throughout the year that are open to the campus community and often bring in students from our neighboring institutions. Often in the Spring Semester there are programs on-campus that invite Fraternities from the University of Pittsburgh.

+ How safe is Chatham University?

By visiting the Public Safety page you can view information on Crime Statistics, Crime Prevention, Safety Policies, Safety Programs, Chatham’s Shuttle Service, SafeRider, and Fire Safety Reports.

+ Are students allowed to have a car on campus?

All Chatham University community members are eligible for parking permits. Note: There are a limited number of permits issued for Eastside campus and resident underclass students. All those parking on campus must apply for and obtain and display a valid parking permit or valid visitor pass throughout the year.

In the spring, students will receive an email indicating when permits will be available for purchase. In the summer, the permits will be mailed to the address indicated on your parking permit application. Student’s permits are automatically billed to Student Accounts.

All students who are eligible to purchase a parking permit must complete an online parking permit application. Go to and use the "Parking Permits" link under the "Quick Links" on the left side of the page to complete the application. When you submit the application, it is emailed to Public Safety. Permits are non-refundable after the add/drop period of each term.

+ What sport or fitness opportunities are there for students at Chatham?

Chatham University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III, Eastern College Athletics Conference (ECAC), and the Presidents’ Athletic Conference (PAC). Chatham fields intercollegiate varsity athletic teams for women in basketball, cross country, ice hockey, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and volleyball. For more information on Chatham Athletics please visit:

Chatham students boast about the Athletic & Fitness Center (AFC) that was built in 2004 to serve all students needs when it comes to exercise. To read and view images of the AFC visit

Physical Education Courses (PED) are offered for credit by Chatham College for Women. Undergraduate students can choose from approximately fifteen course options each semester. Classes include: Yoga, weight training for women, squash, step aerobics, swimming, water fitness, and self defense among others. Classes are taught by qualified fitness instructors with teaching experience in their discipline.

Chatham’s most famous alumna, Rachel Carson, was passionate about nature and the outdoors. Even before writing the influential book, Silent Spring, she wrote about her love for nature and the beauty to be found outdoors.

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts". – Rachel Carson

Chatham continues to recognize the important relationship between people and nature. Outdoor recreational activities are planned at least once a month and include a range of activities. Recent trips include white-water rafting, horseback riding, overnight camping and hiking trips and skiing.

Intramurals are open to all Chatham students, faculty, and staff and are offered in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Sports include basketball, volleyball, soccer, kickball, and many others!

+ Will my student be charged for the university medical insurance even if she is already covered by another policy?

The University requires that all full-time students, both undergraduate and graduate, carry health insurance coverage. Full-time students, who have alternate coverage, may waive enrollment in the University sponsored plan by visiting and clicking on the "Health Insurance" link to complete the waiver process. A pending charge for the health insurance premium will be placed on your student account upon registration at full-time status. If you have alternate coverage and you process a waiver before the waiver deadline, the pending charge will be removed. Any full-time student who does not complete the waiver process online will automatically be enrolled in the Chatham University Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, and will be responsible for all premium amounts charged to their student account.

+ Where can students go if they are feeling worried, sad or homesick?

Counseling Services is committed to aid your personal growth and development in order to help you gain the maximum benefit from your educational experience. We provide a safe, confidential, non-judgmental space to work through issues that many students face. The most common issues that students come to the Counseling Services for include: depression, anxiety, self-esteem, academic concerns, and relationship issues. If you are a full-time registered student, there is no charge for our services. Free evaluations and external referrals are offered to part-time regular undergraduate and graduate students. Our goal is always to help and to guide you towards clarity, authentic happiness and maximum success in your educational journey. To schedule an appointment please call (412) 365-1282. Fall and spring term office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

+ What vaccinations are required for students before coming to Chatham?

Chatham requires that you provide your vaccination records to Student Health Services before the first day of classes. Failure to provide your records will prevent you from enrolling for subsequent semesters. Proof of MMR (Measles, Mumps, & Rubella), meningitis & Hepatitis B are required. Others, such as vaccines for chickenpox, tetanus, hepatitis A, and polio, are only recommended so that we have that information on file should illness break out on campus.

+ What types of accommodations are available for students with disabilities?

Chatham University students are encouraged to take full advantage of the residential experience which includes sharing rooms with other Chatham women. However, Chatham does recognize that rare occasions do exist in which students may be faced with conditions in which accommodations are required. In these cases, students can request to be assigned or moved to a single room reserved on campus for students with unique needs, or for other accommodations (i.e. lower floor room, building with an elevator, or exemption from the residency requirement). At times, other medical accommodations are required and requests for particular accommodations can be made by having the student’s Physician submit documentation of need to the Director of Residence Life and also to the PACE center.

+ How do I know when my student is supposed to move in or move out of the residence halls?

Students are notified of their housing assignment, roommate(s), and move-in/move-out dates via email to their Chatham University email account. Students also receive information for Orientation which will provide more detailed move-in information. Specific housing dates are posted on my.chatham, in the student planner, and within the Residence Halls. Floor meetings, e–mails and talking with your RA are the best way to stay informed. Here are the move-in/move-out dates for 2012–2013:

  • August 22, 2012 – Move–in for first–year and transfer students
  • August 25, 2012 – Move in for returning students
  • December 15, 2012 – Residence halls close for winter break
  • December 16, 2012 – Residence halls close for graduating seniors
  • January 6, 2013 – Residence halls open for spring housing at 9:00 am
  • April 27, 2013 – Residence halls close for students not enrolled in Maymester courses
  • May 17, 2013 – Residence halls close
  • May 19, 2013 – Residence hall close for graduating seniors

For more information regarding Undergraduate Housing visit here!

+ What can parents expect on move-in day?

All new students living on campus will have a chance to get settled before starting the orientation activities. Families will receive move–in information over the summer with designated times and locations for arrival for move–in day. During your move-in time, families will be greeted by our friendly volunteer "Cougar Carriers" who will help bring the student’s items into their assigned residence hall room.

+ Is there a freshman residence hall?

New undergraduate women have a few housing options during their first year at Chatham. While filling out the roommate preference form, new students have the option of selecting Woodland Hall, Fickes Hall or applying for one of our four Living Learning Communities. Chatham University does offer a First–Year Experience Living Learning Community, which calls Fickes Hall home.

+ What are LLCs?

Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are a special housing option which affords students the opportunity to continue the learning experience outside of the classroom. Each LLC creates an environment where students continue to learn outside of the classroom. Each LLC creates an environment where students continue to learn outside of the classroom through the use of programming, daily interaction with other residents, and connection with faculty, staff, and community resources. Students who are selected to reside in an LLC are required to help develop and participate in LLC programming and to be an integral part of the community.

  • All Faith LLC- Woodland Hall: NEW for fall 2012, the All Faith LLC, located on the second floor of Woodland Hall, will be a residential community where the diversity of religious and spiritual beliefs is embraced and explored. Students who choose to reside in this unique community will attend events which will increase their understanding, tolerance, and respect for all global religions. Additionally, students in the All Faith Living Learning Community will have the opportunity to connect with faculty, staff, and local community leaders.
  • First-Year Experience LLC – Fickes Hall: The First Year Experience Community is a living learning community located in Fickes Hall that will assist first-year students in transitioning to college life. This community will offer additional support in connecting students with the University community. Two upper-class student mentors live in the community, including a Resident Assistant and a Cougar K-Nector. This community is designed especially for our first-year students will offer support, socializing, and fun!
  • Intercultural LLC - Laughlin House: Laughlin House, our intercultural LLC, is designed to foster an equal exchange of culture among all residents of the community. Special emphasis will be placed on creating intentional connections with international students at Chatham.
  • Rachel Carson Environment LLC - Rea House: Rea House, our environmental LLC, is designed to foster a community that emphasizes environmental awareness as a lifestyle. House programs will intentionally focus on an appreciation of the environment as well as encouraging students to adapt their lifestyle to be more environmentally savvy.

+ Who do I contact if I have questions about Financial Aid scholarships, or student employment?

The Financial Aid office can be reached by email at or by phone at 412-365-2781 Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm.

The Student Employment Office can be reached by email at or by phone at 412-365-2762 Monday-Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm.

+ How will I receive my student’s bill?

The Office of Student Accounts will generate and mail term invoices to all registered students approximately a month prior to the start of the semester. Invoices will be in the student’s name and sent to their permanent home address on file. Important financial and payment information will be included with the invoice. The invoice will list a payment due date in which your student account must be paid. A late fee will be assessed to accounts not paid by the payment due date. The payment due date will generally be one week before the start of the semester.

+ How do I make a payment to my student’s account?

Chatham University accepts payment by cash, check, credit card, and money order. Payments may be made in person at the Student Account Office, by mail, phone at (412) 365–2719 or fax at (412) 365–1834. To ease the burden of paying for college we offer a voluntary monthly payment program. The Chatham University Tuition Payment Plan is a semester-based, interest-free payment program that allows students to finance tuition and fees over four monthly installments. For additional information regarding billing, payment or the Office of Student Accounts, feel free to contact them at 412-365-2719 or email

+ Dining Services

For a list of FAQ’s for dining services please visit:

Still have a question?