Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Admission Requirements
The following are required for admission to the MAT program:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale (Probationary admission may be granted for applicants with a GPA of less than a 3.0 who show promise through their other achievements)
- Completed application for admission, including:
- Completed and signed application form
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Resume and/or additional supporting information on professional or volunteer activities
- Two letters of recommendation
- Admissions essay
- Payment of a non-refundable $45 application fee (no fee is required for the online application)
Application deadline for SPRING entry: November 1
Application deadline for FALL entry: June 1*
*Rolling admission for Fall entry until August 1
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all individuals who interact with children in Pennsylvania schools to obtain three types of clearances: Act 34(PA Criminal), Act 151(Child Abuse), and FBI Criminal History Report. Form PDE 6004 also must be completed for any person entering a school. These are required for all Chatham field placements including observations and student teaching. In all MAT programs, field placements begin in the first term of enrollment. Therefore, students must submit these three clearances and form PDE 6004 to the Field Placement Coordinator located in Braun 204. Negative information on any of these clearances may be cause for dismissal from the program.
More information regarding these clearances is available on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website at http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/certifications/7199 and click on "Background Checks" in the left-hand menu.