Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (MFA) Admission Requirements
Early decision application deadline for FALL entry: January 15
The Admission Committee continues to review Regular Decision Applications as there is space in the cohort.
Note: applications will continue to be accepted and considered for admission as long as seats remain in the class
- Have a completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with an overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale. (Probationary admission may be granted for applicants with a GPA of less than a 3.0 who show extreme promise through their other achievements.) (6 credits of undergraduate courses in Writing are recommended, but not required)
- Complete application for admission, including:
- Online application
- A one to three page personal letter stating the genre in which you will be applying, and detailing your strengths and reasons for wanting to enter Chatham’s full–residency MFA program
- Curriculum vita or resume
- Two official letters of recommendation, preferably written by former writing teachers or professors who know your writing
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Writing sample – this can be one or several pieces totaling 20 pages. You may mail this on 8.5 x 11 standard paper, unbound to our address below or email as a pdf or doc to the email address below
Admissions Materials may be submitted to:
Office of Graduate Admission
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Fax: (412) 365-1609
Do not send anything directly to the MFA Program offices.
Integrated Degree Program
Chatham University undergraduates applying through the Integrated Degree Program (IDP) must complete all requirements outlined on their respective admission or track tab on the IDP Portal Site. All IDP applicants should work closely with their academic advisor to ensure they are meeting all requirements according to their IDP course of study.