Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) Faculty and Staff
John Laird, N.D.
Associate Professor, Admissions Coordinator
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 1996
Academic Areas of Interest
Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Nutrition, Human Anatomy
Personal Areas of Interest
Dr. Laird specializes in integrative medicine. He combines his expertise in the basic medical sciences of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology with the complementary and alternative medicine therapies of clinical nutrition and botanical medicine. Dr. Laird has 20 years of experience teaching basic medical sciences in the physician assistant studies program, and practicing naturopathic medicine at the UPMC Shadyside Center for Integrative Medicine. He has given presentations on Integrative Medicine, and complementary and alternative therapies at local, state and national conferences.
- N.D., John Bastyr College of Naturopathic Medicine (Seattle, WA), 1984
- Hawkins S, Laird J, Gorczny A. Assessing expectations of Physician Assistant program applicants using the Problem-Based Learning Readiness Questionnaire: Effect of a 1-hour PBL experience. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2018, April 01;16(2): Article 3.
- Effect of two semesters of small group problem-based learning (PBL) on expectations of physician assistant students regarding self, others, and facilitator using the PBL Readiness Questionnaire. IJAHSP. (2016) Jan 01;14(1), Article 5.
- An evidence-based review of commonly used dietary supplements. JAAPA. 2015;28(7):DOI: 10.1097/01.JAA.0000466643.93467.2a. Laird J.
- . Problem-Based Learning Readiness: Evaluation of Physician Assistant Applicant Readiness for Group Learning. International Journal of Medicine and Pharmacy. 2013;1(1):14-21.Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Laird J, Goreczny AJ
- Student expectations of problem-based learning (PBL), Letter to the Editor. Medical Teacher. 2013;35(6):535. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Goreczny A, Laird J.
- Holistic Admissions Process: An Initiative to Support Diversity in Medical Education. J Physician Assist Educ. 2012;23(3):21-27. Felix H, Laird J, Ennulat E, Donkers K, Garrubba C, Hawkins S, Hertweck M.
- Assessing Knowledge Acquisition of Students: Impact of Introduction to the Health Professions Course. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2012;10 (1):ISSN 1540-580X. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Salls J, Laird J, Goreczny AJ.
- Interactions between supplements and drugs: Deciphering the Evidence. Journal of the Academy of Physician Assistants. 2011;24(12):44-49. Laird, J.
- The Effect of Novice vs. Experienced Problem-Based Learning Facilitators on Student Outcomes. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2007;18(4):63-68. Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Laird J, Sekhon L, Kortyna D.
- Wellness in a Physician Assistant Curriculum: An Experiential Model. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2006;17(4):5-11. Laird J, Hawkins S, Hertweck M, Biearman B.
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (Associate)
- Pennsylvania Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Laird J. Integrative Oncology: The Efficacy and Safety of Dietary Supplements in Cancer Treatment. American Academy of Physician Assistants 42nd Annual Conference. Boston, MA. May 2014
- Laird J. “Evidence-based Integrative Medicine Therapeutics: Effective, Promising and Ineffective Therapies”. American Academy of Physician Assistants 41st Annual Conference. (Washington, D.C.) May 2013.
- Laird J. “Integrative Medicine: Update on Research and Clinical Practice” American Academy of Physician Assistants 40th Annual Conference Toronto, ON. May 2012.
- Laird J. Complementary and Alternative Treatment Modalities: Where Does CAM Fit in Your Practice?” American Academy of Physician Assistants 39th Annual Conference (Las Vegas, NV.) June 2011
- Laird J. “Dietary Supplement-Drug Interactions” American Academy of Physician Assistants 38th Annual Conference. (Atlanta, GA). June 2010.
- Laird J. “Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM): Clinical Pearls”. American Academy of Physician Assistants 37th Annual Conference. (San Diego, CA). May 2009.
- Laird J. “Alternative and Complementary Medicine Interactions” Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants. (Pittsburgh, PA) November 2009
- Laird J. "Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Clinical Pearls". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Harrisburg, PA), October 2006
- Laird J. "Dietary Supplements: Adjunctive Cancer Treatment". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Philadelphia, PA), October 2005.
- Laird J. "Update on Drug-Dietary Supplement Interactions". Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference (Pittsburgh, PA), October 2003
- Kortyna D, Laird J, Borsch D. "Conventional and Complementary Approaches to the Treatment of Migraine Headaches". American Association of Physician Assistants 29th Annual Conference, May 2001.