Didactic Learning General Goals
- The student will develop a strong knowledge base
- When encountering an unfamiliar problem, the student will be able to build, organize, and articulate the basic science knowledge and concepts that can explain the problem and which can then be employed to resolve the problem.
- The student will develop clinical reasoning skills
- The student will demonstrate the ability to use the clinical reasoning process in the investigation and solution of medical problems.
- The student will develop self-directed learning skills and self-assessment skills
- When a student encounters a problem that s/he is unable to explain, the student will be able to design and implement satisfactory learning strategies, monitor the adequacy of personal knowledge and skills, assess the effectiveness of the self-directed learning strategies used, and critically assess the learning resources for adequacy, quality, and credibility.
- The student will develop competence in clinical skills
- The student will demonstrate appropriate interview and physical examination techniques.
- The student will demonstrate appropriate clinical procedural skills.
- The student will develop professional interpersonal skills
- The student will demonstrate effective interpersonal skills while interacting with patients, peers, faculty and others.
- The student will demonstrate cultural sensitivity in all interactions.
Clinical Experience General Goals
- The student will develop comprehensive patient care skills
- The student will apply the core medical knowledge acquired during the academic year while assessing, evaluating and managing patients. They will demonstrate that the care they provide is effective, patient-centered, timely, and equitable.
- The student will develop self-directed practice reviews and research skills
- The student will engage in critical analysis of their own practice experience, medical literature and other information resources for the purpose of self-improvement. As a result, they will be able to assess, evaluate and improve their patient care practices.
- The student will develop a keen knowledge of healthcare policies and the business of medicine
- Student will demonstrate an awareness of and responsiveness to the health care system and engage in practices designed to improve the system of which their practices are a part.