Counseling Psychology (PsyD) Faculty and Staff
Robert Gallen Ph.D.
Director of Infant Mental Health Programs
Hometown : San Mateo, CA
Joined Chatham : 2004
Academic Areas of Interest
Infant Mental Health, Early Childhood Mental Health Policy, Child Assessment and Intervention
Personal Areas of Interest
My Children, Nature, Travel
Trained in clinical psychology at the University of Kentucky where he earned his Ph.D. Completed his doctoral project on social information processing of children with ADHD. Participated as a Maternal and Child Health Leadership Trainee in an Interdisciplinary Human Development Institute where he trained in early childhood assessment and developmental disabilities. Completed his clinical internship training at the University of Texas Medical Center with specialized training in family therapy and pediatric neuropsychology. Completed post-doctoral training at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital conducting evaluations and intervention with children in the Cincinnati Center for Developmental Disorders. Taught in the psychology departments at Georgetown College and trained Psy.D. students at Indiana University of Pennsylvania teaching assessment and psychotherapy skills as director of the Child and Family Cilnic. Has been an early intervention provider since 1997 with Kentucky First Steps and then for the Alliance for Infants and Toddlers in Allegheny County, PA. Also participated in data collection for the Battelle Developmental Inventory-2 and currently serves as a national trainer for Riverside Publishing. In 2004 moved academic positions to Chatham University, where he has been Field Placement Coordinator for the Master’s of Science in Counseling Psychology program. Has taught courses in Assessment, Field Placement, Family Therapy, and Developmental Psychopathology. In the summer of 2007 started the Certificate in Infant Mental Health at Chatham University and is currently teaching Essentials of Infant Mental Health.
- BA, Bucknell University (Lewsiburg, PA), Cum Laude, Honors in Psychology, 2001
- Ph.D., University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY), 1997, Clinical Psychology
- Pre-doctoral Internship, University of Texas Medical Center (Houston, TX), 1997
- ZERO TO THREE Leaders for the 21st Century Fellow: 2009-2011
- Myers-Cepicka, M., Gallen, R., & Dempsey, J. (2008). Using what you already have to build a network for infants and toddlers with mental health needs. Paper submitted to the Zero to Three National Training Institute, Los Angeles, CA.