Counseling Psychology (PsyD) Faculty and Staff
Ashley Scudder, Ph.D.
Hometown : Tennyson, IN
Academic Areas of Interest
Early childhood behavioral difficulties, disruptive behavior disorders, childhood trauma, implementation science, Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT), trauma-informed care, increasing public knowledge and access to early childhood evidence-based treatments, integrated behavioral health
Personal Areas of Interest
- Ph.D., West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV), 2012
- Scudder, A. T., Taber-Thomas, S., Herschell, A. D., Schaffner, K., Pemberton, J., & Hunter, L. A Mixed-Methods Study of System- Level Sustainability of Evidence-Based Practices in 12 Large-Scale Implementation Initiatives. Health Research Policy and Systems. (2017), 15:102 doi: 10.1186/s12961-017-0230-8
- Herschell, A. D., Scudder, A. T., Schaffner, K., & Slagel, L. (2016). Feasibility and Effectiveness of Parent-child Interaction Therapy with Victims of Domestic Violence: A Pilot Study. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- Scudder, A. T., & Herschell, A. D. Building an evidence-base for the training of evidence-based treatments in community settings: Use of an expert-informed approach, Children and Youth Services Review. (2015), doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2015.05.003.
- (Scudder)Tempel A. B., McNeil, C. B., Chengappa, K., & Costello, A. H. Evaluation of a standard parenting program within a women’s state prison facility and a parent-training class modeled from group- based parent-child interaction therapy (2014). Children and Youth Services Review. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.08.015.
- Fritz, R., (Scudder)Tempel, A. B., Sigel, B., Conner-Burrows, N., Worley, K. & Kramer, T. L. Improving the Dissemination of Evidence-Based Treatments: Facilitators and Barriers to Participating in Case Consultation (2013). Professional Psychology: Research and Practice (PPRP).
- Kramer, T. L., Sigel, B., Conner-Burrows, N., Savary, P., & (Scudder)Tempel, A. B. A statewide introduction of trauma-informed care in a child welfare system (2013). Children and Youth Services Review, 35(1), 19-24.
- Conner-Burrows, N., (Scudder)Tempel, A. B., Sigel, B., Church, J., Worley, K. & Kramer, T. L. The development of a systematic approach to mental health screening in child advocacy centers (2012). Children and Youth Services Review, 34(9), 1675-1682.
- Pennsylvania Licensed Psychologist
- PCIT International Certified Level 2 Trainer
- Child-Adult Relationship Enhancement (CARE) Trainer
- Penn State University College of Medicine Family Medicine Clerkship Exceptional Teaching Award (2017)
- NIMH Child Intervention, Prevention, and Services (CHIPS) Fellow (2013-2014)
- American Psychological Association Division 53, Society of Child and Adolescent Psychology
- American Psychological Association Div 54, Society of Pediatric Psychology
- Pennsylvania Chapter of American Academy of Pediatrics
- Herschell, A. D., Kolko, D. J., Scudder, A. T., Taber-Thomas, S., Schaffer, K. F., Hiegel, S. A., Hart, J. A., Mrozowski, S. J., Iyengar, S., & Chaffin, M. (2018, June). PCIT Across PA: Family Outcomes from a randomized trial of implementation methods. Paper accepted to be presented at the 2018 PCIT World Congress. Schwinfurt, Germany.
- Scudder, A. T. & Handen, B. (2018, April). Use of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy for Disruptive Behavior Difficulties of Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Paper accepted to be presented at the 20th Interagency conference. State College, Pennsylvania.
- Scudder, A.T. & Taber Thomas, S. M. (2017, December). An Introduction to Parent-Child Interaction Therapy. Webinar invited by American Academy of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania Medical Home Initiative.
- Scudder, A. T., Herschell, A., Taber-Thomas, S.M., & Schaffner, K. (2017, September). Ready or not? Here we come: Supporting the Integration of PCIT into Community Practice. Symposium accepted to the 16th annual Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Convention, Traverse City, Michigan.
- Taber-Thomas, S.M., Herschell, A., Scudder, A. T. & Schaffner, K. (2017, September). Facilitators and Barriers of Early Implementation of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy within 50 Community Mental Health Agencies. Symposium accepted to the 16th annual Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Convention, Traverse City, Michigan.