Physical Therapy (DPT) Faculty and Staff
Michelle Criss PT, DPT, GCS
Hometown : Springfield, VA
Joined Chatham : 2012
Academic Areas of Interest
Frail older individuals with multiple co-morbidities, balance and falls, and the use of standardized tests and measures in skilled nursing rehabilitation
Personal Areas of Interest
Dance, photography, travel, good food, and, most importantly, spending time with my family
Dr. Criss has been practicing in the area of geriatric physical therapy for 20 years mostly in skilled nursing facilities but also in inpatient rehabilitation, adult day programming, and home health. She joined the core faculty in 2012 as a part-time instructor after serving as adjunct and in 2015 joined as full time faculty. Dr. Criss currently serves the Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy on the Program Committee and as a GeriEDGE Task Force member. Dr. Criss is proud to have developed the recently ABPTRFE-accredited UPMC Centers for Rehab Services Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency program in which she continues to serve as a faculty member. She is currently enrolled at Nova Southeastern University working towards her PhD in Physical Therapy.
- Ph.D., Nova Southeastern University (Ft. Lauderdale, FL), ABD
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Master of Science, Physical Therapy, Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA)
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology and Psychology, University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
- Lusardi MM, Fritz S, Middleton A, Allison L, Phillips E, CRISS M, Verma S, Osborne J, Chui KK. Determining Risk of Future Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Using Posttest Probability. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy.2017;40:1-36.
- CRISS M and Takacs S. Rehabilitation of hip fractures across the continuum of care. Top Geriatr Rehab. 2013; 29(4): 281-293.
- Certified Geriatric Clinical Specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, American Physical Therapy Association
- Clinician-Educator Award, Chatham University Physical Therapy Program, 2011
- Award of Excellence, Geriatric Special Interest Group, Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association, 2009
- President's Award, Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2009
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- APTA Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy; Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy; Academy of Clinical Electrophysiology and Wound Care; Section on Education
- Faculty: Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency Program, UPMC Centers for Rehab Servcies, 2011-present
- Director and Creator: Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency Program, UPMC Centers for Rehab Services, Pittsburgh, PA, 2011-2015
- Nominating Committee: Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2011-2014 (chair, 2013-2014)
- Item Writer: Geriatric Specialization Academy of Content Experts, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, 2010-2013
- Delegate: American Physical Therapy Association House of Delegates, 2009-2012
- Chair: Regional Course Committee, Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2002-2009
- White L, Dawson N, Ross B, Stanley M, Knott G, CRISS M, Miles J, Steffes L, Ross C. “Working with Cognitive/Mental Health Issues Across the Care Continuum.” 2-Day Pre-Conference Education Program, APTA Combined Sections Meeting (San Antonio, TX), February 2017.
- CRISS M & Heitzman J. “Ethics, Decision-Making Ability, and Interventions for Patients with Alzheimer Disease." Education Session, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting (Anaheim, CA), February 2016
- CRISS M, Grieve S, Cook J. "Teaching with Multimedia: Applying Evidence to Enhance Learning." Education Session, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting (Anaheim, CA), February 2016
- Lusardi M, Fritz S, Allison L, Wingood M, CRISS M, Middleton A, Phillips E. “GeriEDGE Fall Risk Assessment and Outcome Measures.” Education Session, APTA Combined Sections Meeting (Indianapolis, IN), February, 2015
- CRISS M and Schwartz S. “Falls and rehabilitation after hip fracture.” Invited presentation. Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Association Southwest District Mini-Combined Sections Meeting, March 2013.
- Strunk E and CRISS M. “Are you a frustrated SNF therapist? What you can do to influence change.” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, January 2013.