Physical Therapy (DPT) Faculty and Staff
Susan Perry PT, DPT, MS
Hometown : Gibsonia, PA
Joined Chatham : 1995
Academic Areas of Interest
Management of patients with neurologic conditions; Knowledge translation: moving research evidence into clinical practice
Personal Areas of Interest
Travel; historical fiction; cooking and gardening
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Chatham College (Pittsburgh, PA) 2003
- MS, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Education emphasis, University of Pittsburgh (PIttsburgh, PA), 1989
- BS, Physical Therapy, S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook (Stony Brook, NY), 1982
- Downey PD. Perry SB. Marchetti G. Thompson D. Use of a fracture prevention screening algorithm predicts self-reported falls in post-menopausal women. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. Published online May 2018
- Perry SB. Billek-Sawhney B. Woollard J. Little S. Szalinski A. Balance and mobility improvements during inpatient rehabilitation are similar in young-old, mid-old, and old-old adults with traumatic brain injury. Accepted to Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation March 2018.
- Schreiber JS. Perry SB. Downey P. Williamson A. Knowledge Translation Outcomes Following Innovative Continuing Education. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2015;29:42-49.
- Perry SB. Zeleznik H. Breisinger TP. Supporting evidence-based behavior change in neurologic physical therapists: a case study in knowledge translation. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2014;38:134-143.
- Perry SB. Woollard J. Little S. Shroyer K. Relationships among measures of balance, gait, and community integration in people with brain injury. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. March 2013 doi: 10.1097/HTR.0b013e3182864f2f
- Downey PA. Perry SB. Anderson J. Screening post-menopausal women for fracture and fall prevention. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 2013;36:138-145.
- Perry SB. Downey PA. Fracture risk and prevention: a multi-dimensional approach. Phys Ther. 2012;92:164-178.
- Perry SB. Rauk R. McCarthy A. Milidonis M. Competency-Based Validation of Specialty Practice. JNPT 2008;32:62-69
- Downey P. Perry SB. Rehabilitation Approaches to the Prevention of Osteoporosis and Osteoporotic Fracture. Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2007;19(1):55-77
- Perry SB. Constraints on Practice. Invited commentary. JNPT. 2007;31(1):10-11
- Perry SB. Marchetti GF. Wagner S. Wilton W. Predicting Caregiver Assistance Required for Sit-to-Stand Following Rehabilitation for Acute Stroke. JNPT. 2006;30(1):2-11
- Billek-Sawhney B. Perry SB. Coordination and Proprioception in Huber F. Wells CW., eds., Therapeutic Exercise, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2006
- Rauk R. McCarthy A. Perry SB. Description of Specialty Practice in Neurologic Physical Therapy. APTA, 2005
- Perry SB. “Strategies for Teaching and Applying Clinical Decision – Making Skills in Entry – Level Neurologic Content”. Neurology Report.1999;23(4):170-7
- Perry SB. “Clinical Implications of a Dynamic Systems Theory”, Neurology Report.1998;22: 4-10
- Board certified neurologic specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties 1994-2014
- APTA Neurology Section Service to the Section Award 2014
- APTA Section on Education Distinguished Educator Award 2012
- Distinguished Alumni Award, School of Health Technology and Management, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1998
- Director of Education, Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association, 2018-2021
- Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, Co-chair, Compendium of Neurologic Entry-Level Teaching Resources, 2nd ed. 2016
- Vice President of the Neurology Section, American Physical Therapy Association, 2006-2012
- Member of the Neurologic Specialty Council, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, 2000-2004
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, August 1995-present
- Romney W. Deutsch J. Perry SB. Salbach N. Does evidence based practice confidence and behavior change throughout the entry level physical therapy curriculum? A longitudinal study. Poster Presentation for APTA’s Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, February 2018
- Romney W. Salbach N. Perry SB. Deutsch J. Evidence based practice confidence upon entry to physical therapy school is related to previous research-related experience. Poster Presentation. World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore, May 2015
- Perry SB. Zeleznik H. Breisinger TP. Supporting evidence-based behavior change in neurologic physical therapists: a case report, Poster Presentation, APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, January 2013
- Jameson S. Schafer DS. Perry SB. DPT Students’ Self-Assessment of Administration and Management Skills as Compared to a 2007 Study, Poster Presentation, PPTA Annual Meeting, Lancaster, PA October 2012
- Perry SB. Little S. Sit-to-stand Phase Failure in Three Subjects with Acute Traumatic Brain Injury, Poster Presentation , APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, February 2010