Nursing Faculty and Staff
Chad Rittle DNP, MPH, RN
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2011
Academic Areas of Interest
Public Health, Long-term Care, Immunizations, Vaccines, Evidence-based Practice, Nursing Administration and Management, Politics and Health Policy, Patient Safety, Community Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
Personal Areas of Interest
Skiing, Golf, Gardening, Reading, my Grandchildren, Home Improvements, The Veterans Breakfast Club, Promoting Occupational Health Practices (AAOHN) and the Veterans Breakfast Club of Pittsburgh
I bring to Chatham a wide variety of experiences – United States Naval Officer and 20+ years of experience in the computer industry in a variety of sales, systems design, management and marketing support positions. During this time I began my teaching career as an adjunct instructor at CCAC in Pittsburgh teaching computer-related courses as well as project management. I began my Public Health career as an Air Quality Specialist for the PA Department of Environmental Protection while attending Nursing School at UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing in the Evening/Weekend Program. Further education included earning my BSN and MPH at the University of Pittsburgh leading to positions with the PA Department of Health as Community Health Nurse in Butler and Armstrong Counties and then Northwest District Epidemiology Manager in Mercer, PA. While working at the Department of Health I completed studies for a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) at Waynesburg University and also served as an adjunct instructor at Waynesburg. My interests in nursing include public health, long-term care, reduction of infectious diseases, and achieving universal vaccination to control the incidence of vaccine-preventable diseases. During my years in nursing and public health I have developed a love of life-long learning, good communications and writing skills, and helping students develop these skills to further their careers. My academic journey has introduced me to many outstanding educators who helped me to develop these skills. My goal is to emulate these mentors and pass these skills along to students I encounter in my academic career. Nursing and teaching are two noble professions. I believe we need to encourage our students to achieve their very best and to help meet the needs of our patients and their families, wherever we meet them. While at Chatham I have become a Board Member of the Veterans Breakfast Club of Pittsburgh – a nonprofit organization dedicated to giving every veteran a chance to share his or her own story with the public. A subsidiary, the Veteran Voices of Pittsburgh Oral History Project captures, shares and preserves the stories of these veterans. Another organization of importance to be is the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN). I am currently Secretary of the Southwest PA Chapter as well as President-Elect of the PA Chapter. In 2014 I was selected Fellow of AAOHN at the National Conference in Dallas.
- DNP, Waynesburg University, 2009
- MPH, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, 2003
- BSN, University of Pittsburgh, School of Nursing, 2000
- RN, UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing (Pittsburgh, PA), 1998
- BA, Biology, St. Vincent College (Latrobe, PA), 1970
- Rittle, C. (2013). Promoting Universal Vaccination Among Your Adult Patients, Workplace Health & Safety.
- Rittle, C. (2010). Pertussis - The Case for Universal Vaccination of Adolescents and Adults. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 15(4), 282-91. doi:10.1111/j.1744-6155.2010.00249.x
- Rittle, C. (2009, November). Contributing Reporter. Human Vaccinia Infection After Contact with Raccoon Rabies Vaccine Bait --- Pennsylvania, 2009. MMWR. 58(43), 1204-1207.
- Rittle, C. (2008). Maintaining Vaccine Effectiveness in Occupational Health Clinics. AAOHN Journal, 25(7), 277-9.
- Selected as Fellow of AAOHN at National Conference in Dallas, 2014
- 2013-Liberty Leadership Scholarship, Sponsored by the AAOHN Foundation
- 2013-New Investigator Research Grant, Sponsored by Kelly Services and the AAOHN Foundation
- 3rd Prize in Annual Dean's Day Competition (March 2003) at University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health - "A Risk Assessment of Nitrate Pollution in the Connoquenessing Creek
- President-Elect of PA Chapter of AAOHN
- Board Member, Veterans Breakfast Club
- Secretary, Southwest PA AAOHN Chapter
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Past President of the Alumni Society
- University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, At Large Member of the Alumni Association Executive Board
- UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing Alumni Association
- Sigma Theta Tau Nursing National Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- President-Elect of PA Chapter of AAOHN
- Reviewer for the AAOHN Continuing Education Contact Hours
- Secretary and Board Member of the Southwest Chapter of the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN)
- Reviewer for Policy and Politics in Nursing and Health Care, 6th Edition, Mason, D., Leavitt, J., Chaffee, M. (2012). ISBN: 978-1-4377-1416-6
- Class President, UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing
- Rittle, C. (2014). Promoting Adult Immunizations in the Workplace. Presented at the AAOHN PA State Conference, Lancaster, PA
- Rittle, C. (2014). Transcultural Nursing-Its Importance for the Occupational Health Nurse and a Culturally Diverse Workplace. Presented at the AAOHN National Conference, Dallas
- Rittle, C. (2014). Tdap-The Need to Educate and Immunize. Presented at the AAOHN National Conference, Dallas.
- Rittle, C. (2014). AAOHN Certificate in Occupational Health Nursing, A collaboration to teach a new Certificate Course for novice Occupational Health Nurses
- Rittle, C. (2013). Increasing Employee Vaccination Rates - Can It Reduct Lost Time And Increase Productivity? Presented at AAOHN National Conference, Las Vegas
- Rittle, C. (2013). AAOHN Certificate in Occupational Health Nursing. A collaboration to teach a new Certificate Course for novice Occupational Health Nurses
- Rittle, C. (2013). New Guidelines on Vaccine Handling & Storage-Strategies to Improve Vaccine Acceptance Among Employees. Monthly training meeting of UPMC Employee Health Nurses
- Rittle, C. (2013). Update on Adult Vaccines - Answering Questions From Providers and Patients. Continuing Education Program for Physicians, sponsored by Meadville Medical Center, Meadville, PA.
- Rittle, C. (2012). Vaccines for Adults: Are They Cost-effective and How Can We Persuade More Adults to Get Them? PA Public Health Association Annual Conference.
- Rittle, C. (2012). Vaccines - They're Not Just for Children. AAOHN National Conference, Nashville.
- Rittle, C. (2011). Why Parents Under-vaccinate Their Children and How Can Practitioners Reduce Their Incidence of Exemptions? International Conference and Eshibition on Vaccines and Vaccination. Philadelphia.
- Rittle, C. (2011). Why Are Increasing Numbers of Parents Reluctant to Vaccinate Their Children? PA Public Health Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia
- Rittle, C. (April, 2010). "Maintaining Vaccine Effectiveness" presented to Southwest Pennsylvania Association of Occupational Health Nurses (SWPAOHN), Theme of program is "Special Concerns for the Nurse in Today's World.
- Rittle, C. (April, 2008). Panel Discussion about Vaccine Handling and Storage Practices, at Operation Immunization, sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh and the Southwest Immunization Conference (SWIC).
- Rittle, C. (2007). Nursing Adjunct Faculty Seminar: Are Vaccines Safe? Sponsored by Community College of Allegheny County, Allegheny and North Campuses.