RN-to-Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN) Faculty and Staff
Jennifer J. Wasco, DNP, RN
Assistant Professor of Nursing, Practice Experience Coordinator
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2013
Academic Areas of Interest
Public Health, Climate Change/ Impact on Health & Wellness, Nurse Engagement in Climate Change Awareness and Action, Sustainability in Healthcare, Quality Improvement through Education, Process Improvement, Project Management, Staff Education, and Training
Personal Website : Visit Website
Jennifer J. Wasco is an assistant professor of nursing and the practice experience coordinator for the nursing programs at Chatham University. She is a doctorally-prepared registered nurse with over 25 years of experience. Dr. Wasco is prepared in the areas of continuing education, process improvement, and project management. She has extensive experience in the deployment of new healthcare technologies and innovations such as a closed-system for the transfer of hazardous drugs to prevent occupational exposure and a technology platform to help healthcare organizations support their population health and patient engagement initiatives. Her doctorate work was focused on the use of technology-based educational materials to improve the rate of influenza vaccinations in a college population. Dr. Wasco's area of scholarship is focused on public health. Dr. Wasco has a particular interest in climate change and its burden on human health and the engagement of nurses in sustainability and climate leadership. Through innovative quality education initiatives and programming for healthcare providers, it is her hope to improve the health of the world's people. Recently, she was celebrated as an honorable mention by Pittsburgh Magazine in the category of academia for nursing excellence (2016).
- DNP, Nursing, Chatham University, 2015
- MSN, Nursing, Waynesburg University, 2011
- BSN, Nursing, Clarion University, 2004
- Diploma, Nursing, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital School of Nursing, 1993
- Wasco, J.J. (2018, January 11). Nurses Versus Climate Change. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/2018/01/11/Nurses-versus-climate-change/stories/201801140020
- Wasco, J. (2017). Don’t go Viral: An Evidence-Based Practice Project for Increasing Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Rates on College Campus. Building Healthy Academic Communities Journal, 1(1), 42-51.
- Hopkins, E., Robb, M., Fisher, M., Slade, J., Wasco, J., Spadaro, K., and Doas, M. (2016). Honor society membership retention strategies: Promoting membership Benefits from induction through transition to professional practice. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 6(12), 18-23.
- Wasco, J. (2015). A Nurse Consultant’s Prescription for Increasing Patient Satisfaction. Nurse Leader, 13(2), 69-73. doi:10.1016/j.mnl.2014.07.012
- Wasco, J. (2014). The Benefit of Belonging...Journal of the Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare, 34 (3), 27.
- Wasco, J. (2014). Nurse Engagement in Professional Organizations Leads to...Western Pennsylvania Healthcare News, 4, 1.
- Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing, Registered Nurse
- Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Member
- Chi Zeta Chapter, Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), Board Member & Webmaster
- Greater Pittsburgh Nursing Research Conference (GPNRC), Planning Committee Member & Webmaster
- UPMC Academic Partnership Council, Chatham University Representative
- Allegheny Health Network (AHN),Bridging the Gap, Chatham University Representative
- Chatham University School of Health Sciences, Climate Change Focus Group, Member
- Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), Member
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments (ANHE), Member Education Committee