Nursing Faculty and Staff
Lora Walter DNP, RNC-NIC
Assistant Professor of Nursing | Pathways to Nursing Coordinator
Hometown : Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Chatham : 2013
Academic Areas of Interest
Neonatal Nursing and Nursing Education
A graduate of UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing and an alumna of Chatham University’s RN-BSN, MSN, and DNP programs. Worked for eight years in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC where she became certified in neonatal intensive care. Was a member of the neonatal transport team, an AHA certified BLS instructor, and a charge nurse. Focus in the NICU was on education of staff and patient families specializing in the area of CPR and SIDS reduction. Developed, implemented, and evaluated continuing education activities for nurses in the NICU. Presented posters at several local conferences referencing “Nurse Role Models for SIDS Risk Reduction.” After earning an MSN became a Nursing Clinical Coordinator for Chatham University. Managed the clinical experience for students in the RN-BSN program including preceptor and clinical site approval, legal documentation, and overseeing of completion requirements. In addition to that role, coordinated an undergraduate nursing track called Pathways to Nursing (PTN). Coordination of PTN and teaching in the RN-BSN and MSN online and the MSN International programs are her areas of focus since she has assumed a full-time faculty role. Member of the Chi Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International and the National League of Nursing. Acquired her Doctor of Nursing Practice from Chatham University in 2018.
- DNP, Chatham University, 2018
- MSN, Chatham University, 2013
- BSN, Chatham University, 2011
- RN, Shadyside School of Nursing, 2005
- BA, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- Neonatal Intensive Care Certification
- ACES Award, 2010
- Cameos of Caring, 2006
- Jane Burger Advising Award for Faculty, received 2016, nominated 2016, 2017, 2018
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Chi Zeta Chapter, Leadership Succession Committee
- National League of Nursing
- Walter, L. & Slade, J. (2017, November). Humanizing Feedback in the Online Classroom—A Technological Approach. Poster presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Slade, J. & Walter, L. (2017, November). Using Technology to Decrease Student Isolation in Online Education. Podium presentation at the meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) BSN Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Wu, H., & Walter, L. (2017, April). Exploration of signature pedagogies for international Chinese Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) education students. Podium presentation at the meeting of the Ireland International Conference on Education, Dublin, Ireland.
- Walter, L. (2013). Nurse role models for SIDS risk reduction. Poster presentation at the meeting of the Greater Pittsburgh Nursing Research Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2013). Nurse role models for SIDS risk reduction. Virtual Poster Presentation-Sigma Theta Tau International, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Walter, L. (2011). Cultural competency in end-of-life care in the neonatal intensive care unit. Poster Presentation at the meeting of the UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA.