Master of Arts in Food Studies Faculty and Staff
Alice Julier Ph.D.
Program Director and Associate Professor, Food Studies
Hometown : Amherst, MA
Joined Chatham : 2010
Academic Areas of Interest
Sociology: Social Inequality; Sex, Gender, and the Body; Culture and Consumption; Race, Class, and Gender; Qualitative Methods; Food and Agriculture, Public Policy and Discourse;Popular Culture and Media;
- Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Massachusetts (Amherst, MA)
- M.A. in Sociology, University of Massachusetts (Amherst, MA)
- B.A. in Sociology, Brandeis University (Waltham, MA)
- Things Taste Better in Small Houses: Food, Friendship, and Inequality. (University of Illinois, July 2010)
- Mapping Men onto the Menu: Food and Masculinities. Food and Foodways: Explorations in the History of Human Nourishment. Double Issue on Men and Masculinities co-edited with Laura Lindenfeld. Vol 13, No. 1 and 2. Routledge. March 2005.
- Julia at Smith. Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture. Commemorative Issue on Julia Child. Vol. 5, No. 3. Summer 2005.
- Hiding Race, Class, and Gender in Discourses of Commercial Food From Betty Crocker to Feminist Food Studies: Critical Perspectives on Women and Food. Edited by Arlene Voski Avakian and Barbara Haber. University of Massachusetts Press. December 2005.
- The Political Economy of Obesity: The Fat Pay All. In Food and Culture: A Reader (second edition), edited by Carole Counihan and Penny Van Estrik. Routledge 2008
- Deborah Josepha Cohen Award for excellence in Fine Art, Brandeis University,
- Excellence in Classroom Practice Citation, Conference on College Composition and Communication, Nashville, TN
- Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Massachusetts
- Association for the Study of Food and Society
- Sociologists for Women in Society
- American Sociological Association
- Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society
- National Women's Studies Association
- Board member, Food, Culture, and Society 2004 - present
- Vice President, Association for the Study of Food and Society, 2009 - present
- Board member, Food and Foodways: explorations in the history and culture of human nourishment 2004 - present
- President, Association for the Study of Food and Society. 2003–2006