Chatham University

Office of the University Registrar

The mission of the University Registrar's Office is to provide exceptional service in a timely, accurate, confidential, and supportive manner in accordance with University policy and federal law. We are charged with ensuring the integrity, confidentiality, and security of academic records and adherence to academic policy.

+Access to Student Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 ("FERPA") was enacted to protect the privacy of a student's educational records, to establish the rights of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide procedures for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Chatham University has adopted an institutional policy regarding FERPA. Copies of this policy may be found in the Office of the University Registrar. The Office of the University Registrar also maintains a Record Retention policy that lists the types of education records maintained by the University. FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. Those rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days after the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the University Registrar or other appropriate University official a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. Forms for such a request are available from the Office of the University Registrar. The University Registrar or other appropriate official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's educational record(s) that the student believes to be inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. Forms for such a request are available from the Office of the University Registrar. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is defined as a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff ); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee; or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.
    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University may disclose educational records without consent to officials of another school in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Chatham University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

Another exception in FERPA which permits disclosure without consent pertains to disclosure of "directory information" unless the student has taken steps to withhold "directory information" from disclosure. Directory information is defined by Chatham University to include the following:

  • Name, local address, permanent address, Chatham e-mail address, local telephone number, permanent telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, honors and awards (e.g. Dean's List recognition), participation in and photos of officially recognized activities and sports, height and weight of members of athletic teams, photograph, class year, enrollment status (including current enrollment, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time, withdrawn), degrees conferred, dates of conferral, graduation distinctions, and the institution attended immediately prior to admission to Chatham.

Please contact the Office of the University Registrar for more information concerning the release and/or withholding of "directory information." The following documentation is provided by Chatham so that a student may ascertain his or her progress:

  1. Student grades can be accessed via the Web. This grading page is considered an official document from Chatham University from our secure website that is password protected. Students who are not currently enrolled and whose student accounts are past due will NOT be able to access the grading page.
  2. The student's advisor has access to the student's academic record via the Web. This academic record page is from our secure website that is password protected. Access is granted for advising purposes only, and the record is not to be released to a third party.

Under unique circumstances, the disclosure of a student's educational or health information is permissible and protected by FERPA, including to the following:

  • To persons in an emergency if necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons.
  • To parents, if the student is dependent under the Internal Revenue Code.
  • To parents, regarding a student's use or possession of alcohol or controlled substance if the students is under 21, and has committed a disciplinary violation due to such use possession or being present when underage drinking is taking place.
  • To victims of a crime of violence or sex offense, the final results of an internal disciplinary proceeding relating to such crime or offense.

Treatment records and privileged communications with doctors, psychologists, or counselors may be disclosed if:

  • The patient or client presents a serious and imminent danger to himself or herself.
  • The patient or client has explicitly threatened to kill or inflict serious bodily injury upon another person and has the apparent intent and ability to carry out the threat.
  • The physical or emotional abuse or neglect of a child under the age 18, or an elderly or handicapped person is suspected.

+Adding and Dropping Courses

In consultation with their advisors, students may add or drop courses until the end of the add/drop period for that term. If a course is closed, the student must obtain the instructor's signature on the add/drop/course withdrawal form available online under Documents & Forms on myChatham or in the University Registrar's Office. The length of the add/drop period depends on the length of the semester or term.

Course Length Add/Drop Period
12 weeks or more See the Academic Calendar for published dates
6 weeks See the Academic Calendar for published dates
Maymester Throughout the first three days of class
Shorter than 3 weeks Before the second class
One-day workshops Before the workshop begins


After the conclusion of the add/drop period, students wishing to add, drop, or change the grading option on a course must petition the appropriate academic dean by way of a retroactive petition (see section below).


After conclusion of the add/drop or withdrawal period, all change requests must be approved by the program director and appropriate academic dean by way of a retroactive petition (see section below).

+Auditing Courses

The course audit option is restricted to Chatham courses, undergraduate or graduate level, and does not apply to independent studies. No credit is granted for course audits, and an AU will be recorded on the transcript as the grade. Students auditing a course are expected to meet the same course requirements as the students who take the course for credit and must have the qualifications needed to take an academic overload if applicable.


Full-time students may audit a course by obtaining permission from the instructor and completing a course audit application available from the University Registrar. Audits must be declared before the end of the add/drop period. Students who are registered for 12 or more credits do not incur any additional charges for auditing a course. Courses for major or minor credit may not be audited. General Education credits may not be audited.


Students in health science programs generally may not audit courses except for special circumstances approved by the instructor and Program Director. Non-health science programs graduate students may audit a course by obtaining permission from the instructor and completing a course audit application.

+Change of Grade

A student who questions his/her grade should confer with the instructor of the course. If he/she agrees that the grade is incorrect, the instructor corrects the grade using the Grade Change application on myChatham. Once the grade has been updated, usually within three business days, the student will be able to view the change on their unofficial transcript.

All grade changes must be made within one year after the end of the semester in which the course was taken. After one year, the burden of proof falls on the student to submit information which speaks to an administrative error.

+Cross-registration PCHE

Chatham University students may take advantage of a wide variety of both undergraduate and graduate courses, programs, and opportunities available through the following institutions that, along with Chatham, form the Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE): Carlow University, Carnegie Mellon University, Community College of Allegheny County, Duquesne University, La Roche College, Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Point Park University, and University of Pittsburgh. Cross-registration permits full-time students to take courses at any other PCHE institution without additional tuition charges. To be eligible, a student must have completed at least 24 credits, have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and they cannot be in their first or last semester of study. Both Chatham and the other institution must approve the course to be taken prior to registration. Students can register for no more than one course per term. Grades from such courses will transfer to their Chatham records. Additional information on cross-registration may be obtained from the University Registrar's office.

+Degree Conferral

Application for Degree Conferral

Applying for Degree Conferral is a mandatory step that all students (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral) must take in order to be awarded their degree and receive their diploma. There is a fee involved. Your application triggers a review of your degree progress by your program/advisor. If we are alerted that you are not approved and have additional requirements to fulfill, you will be notified via email. All grades must be received before anything is finalized.

How to Submit an Application for Degree Conferral to Receive your Diploma

  1. In myChatham under My Tools look for the button APPLICATION FOR DEGREE CONFERRAL. If the date you seek is available, then you are done and should alert your advisor to your application. If you do not see the date that you would like, it means the deadline has passed. Proceed to next step.
  2. If the date you want is not listed as an option, please select an available date OR LATE APPLICATION and proceed to the next step.
  3. Fill out a RETROACTIVE PETITION FORM and circle the conferral month you seek on the form and sign it. . This form can be found on myChatham/ Documents and forms and can also be downloaded directly from the application page. Proceed to next step.
  4. Return the form to the University Registrar's office either via fax at (412) 365-1643 or by taking a photograph of the signed form with a smart phone and attaching it to an email to University Please be sure the signature is visible.
  5. IF APPROVED: the University Registrar's office will be able to adjust your application to reflect the conferral month you've circled on your petition. You will be notified via email when this has taken place. Please do not contact this office during the review period, you will not receive a response.

+Final Examination Schedule

The undergraduate final examination schedules for fall and spring semesters are produced by the University Registrar's Office and follow a Monday-Thursday schedule. Maymester and summer terms do not have final examination weeks

+Final Grades

After faculty members submit grades, they will available for viewing on myChatham under My Grades. All grade inquiries should be directed to the faculty member.

+Grade Point Average

A student's grade point average (GPA) is calculated after the completion of each term; both cumulative and term GPAs appear in the student's grade report and transcript. Pluses and minuses are included in the calculation. If a student earns an F grade in a course taken on a pass/fail basis, the F is included in the grade point calculation; P grades do not affect the GPA.

Undergraduate Grades

Grade Grade Point Value Description
A 4.00 Excellent
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33 Good
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33 Satisfactory
C 2.00 Minimal performance
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00 Unsatisfactory performance, no credit
I Incomplete work in a course
M Military leave of absence
P Pass, minimal value C+
W Withdrawal from a course, no credit
CR Credit earned for Prior Learning Assessment
NS No show, no credit
TR Transfer credit

Graduate Grades

Grade Grade Point Value Description
A 4.00 Excellent
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33 Satisfactory
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33 Course must be repeated
C 2.00 Course must be repeated
C- 1.67 Course must be repeated
D 1.00 Course must be repeated
F 0.00 Unsatisfactory performance, no credit
I Incomplete work in a course
M Military leave of absence
P Pass, minimal value B-
W Withdrawal from a course, no credit
CR Credit earned for Prior Learning Assessment
NS No show, no credit
TR Transfer credit

+Graduate Continuing Registration Credit

All non-cohort graduate students are required to continuously register for a Graduate Continuing Credit during the time they are completing their final project or thesis and are no longer taking any other formal courses. Additionally, this one credit requirement is applicable to any student who requests an incomplete grade in their final project or thesis for the purpose of receiving a time extension. Students who are registered for this credit will receive an incomplete grade for their final project or thesis course, and a passing or failing grade for the Graduate Continuing Credit. Once they receive a passing grade for the Graduate Continuing Credit, the incomplete grade in the final project or thesis course will be changed to the appropriate grade.

Failure to register for the Graduate Continuing Credit during the subsequent semester's add/drop deadline will result in a failing grade for the final project or thesis course. Students who request a Leave of Absence in order to avoid registering for the Graduate Continuing Credit will not be granted the leave.

+Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade may be given to a student when a documented illness or another documented extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents the completion of course requirements. An incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade or to invalidate an instructor's attendance policy. Unless the instructor stipulates a shorter time period for completion of the work, an incomplete must be satisfied by the established date on the University's Academic Calendar. Incomplete grades which are not satisfied by the established deadline will convert to the grade of F. Once an incomplete grade has been converted to an F grade, it cannot be reversed, but it can be changed to another letter grade if it falls within the one year deadline for grade changes. If the incomplete is satisfied by the established deadline, a regular letter grade will be recorded upon notification by the instructor to the University Registrar's Office. It is important to note that as long as the "I" is on the record for a course, a student may not enroll for credit in any course that has that course as a stated prerequisite, and the student cannot graduate.

Students who believe they can demonstrate a legitimate need for an incomplete must have instructor's approval. The instructor may ask the student to complete an incomplete grade contract which is available under Documents and Forms on myChatham. An incomplete grade contract helps to establish the terms of the arrangement. If the student is asked to complete the contract, once it's completed the student should return it to the appropriate Academic Dean's Office for forwarding to the instructor.

To be eligible to receive an incomplete grade, a student must have regularly attended class meetings in accordance with the instructor's attendance policy, completed all assignments by the instructor's stated deadlines, and maintained a passing grade of at least "C-" for undergraduate courses, and "B" for graduate courses. The deadline for requesting an incomplete grade is the last day of the semester in which the course was taken.

*The only exception to this policy is for graduate students who are enrolled in graduate continuing credit courses.

+Integrative Capstone Grading Regulations - Undergraduate

Final copies of the senior capstone are due to the office of the appropriate dean according to the schedule provided. The final copies are distributed to the members of the board by the office of the dean. Upon completion, students are required to submit a bound copy of their senior capstone to the library.

Students may request an extension deadline from the dean. An extension request will be accepted until 4 p.m. one week before the final copies are due. Extension requests will only be granted when unexpected and extreme circumstances beyond the control of the student warrant them. The extension request must be accompanied by authoritative documentation, and have the support of the tutor. If approved, the extension will not be granted beyond the last day of classes. Failure to deliver final copies of the senior capstone by the original deadline or a petition requesting an extension according to the schedule above results in an automatic F grade for the course.

No incomplete grades will be given in the integrated senior capstone course except in unusual and extreme circumstances that prevent the student from completing the work of the course and that can be confirmed by authoritative documentation. Requests for incomplete grades should be directed to the appropriate academic dean, who will make the decision in consultation with the tutor.

+Midterm Grades - Undergraduate

All midterm grades are available for viewing on myChatham under My Grades. These grades will not become a part of the student's permanent record. The date is available on the Academic Calendar.

+Pass/Fail Grades


With the guidance of an advisor, a student may decide to take a course on a pass/fail basis rather than under the traditional grading system. The election of the pass/fail option must be declared at the time of registration. For a cross-registered course, students must declare the pass/fail option to the Chatham University Registrar within two weeks of the beginning of the course. Students may enroll for no more than 30 pass/fail credits during their studies at the University. General education, major and minor courses may not be taken pass/fail. Exceptions to pass/fail grades within a major or minor include internships, certain Chatham Abroad and lifetime activity courses in the wellness program. Students choosing to take courses on a pass/fail basis will be graded as follows:
                    P = Pass, minimal value C-
                    F = Unsatisfactory, no credit
An F earned in a pass/fail course is calculated into the grade point average (GPA); P grades do not affect the GPA.


In some graduate programs, certain courses may be offered as pass/fail rather than under the traditional grading system. A failing grade is calculated in the grade point average (GPA); a P earned is not calculated in the GPA and must represent work earned at a grade of B- or above.

+Posting of Academic Honors

Academic honors also are conferred at Commencement as follows: cum laude: a cumulative average of 3.5 to 3.74; magna cum laude: a cumulative average of 3.75 to 3.89; summa cum laude: a cumulative average of 3.9 to 4.0. A student must complete at least 60 credit hours at Chatham to qualify for consideration for academic honors.


All registration, adding, and dropping of courses occurs online. Students must register for classes on the dates indicated on the Academic Calendar. Registration after these dates may significantly reduce the availability of classes open for enrollment. Continuing students who register for classes after the open registration published deadline may be assessed a non-refundable fee. Please see the Financial Aid and Student Accounts sections for information pertaining to the financial implications of registration and schedule adjustments. In addition to the calendar, graduate students should review the Institutional Refund Policy.

+Repeating Courses

Upon completion of a repeated course, only the course credit(s) and the grade for the most recent attempt will be computed in the GPA. If a student withdraws from a repeated course, the withdrawal course will appear on the transcript, and the previous grade earned will continue to be counted in the GPA.


When available, students may repeat courses. Students may attempt a single course no more than three times, including attempts that result in a withdrawal. Whenever a course is repeated, the academic record and transcript reflect all course enrollments and the grade earned for each enrollment.


When a student earns a grade lower than B-, the same course must be repeated. A student is allowed to repeat only two courses, but each course only once. If the repeated grade earned is less than B-, the student will be dismissed.

+Retroactive Petitions

Students who fill out a retroactive petition are requesting consideration for failing to meet an established University deadline. This petition should accompany the form which the student would have submitted if the request had been before the deadline. For example, to add a course after the add/drop deadline the add/drop form, signed by the Academic Dean, should accompany the request. Additionally, a student should include a written statement and supporting documentation explaining why the deadline was missed. All retroactive petitions go before an approval committee. Students will be notified of the committee's decision via email. There is no appeals process for all committee decisions are final.

+Student Attendance

Every student enrolled at Chatham accepts the responsibility to attend all required class meetings. To obtain the fullest benefit from their courses, students must participate actively. This means attending regularly, engaging in course activity, completing work on time, and making up work missed because of an emergency absence. It is the student's responsibility to let the course instructor know within the add/drop period if he or she will have to miss class for religious reasons, athletics, or other. In regards to online courses, students are responsible for logging in regularly, engaging in course discussions and other activity, and completing work on time.

Attendance for final examinations is mandatory. Students who are unexcused from a final examination will receive a failing grade for that examination. The appropriate academic dean may excuse absences only in the case of a documented illness or other serious emergency.


Current and former students whose student accounts are in good standing may request an official copy of their University records. All orders must be submitted through Transcripts on Demand ( A consent form must be completed and returned to Transcripts on Demand if a student is not authenticated through MyChatham. Requests will be processed within three business days. A fee is charge per transcript ordered, and additional processing fees are charged for each address.
Students whose accounts are delinquent cannot receive official transcripts until accounts are paid in full, including possible late fees and collections costs.



After the start of the semester, general enrollment information can be verified via the National Student Clearinghouse Self-Service portal. Student Self-Service saves you a trip to the University Registrar's Office by providing you with the ability to verify enrollment securely via the Web, 24/7. Student Self-Service is provided through the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit organization serving the higher education community. The enrollment certificate obtained via this service serves in place of an issued letter or completed form. The student may also utilize their personal schedule as additional verification of enrollment. This can be accessed and printed via myChatham/MySchedule. All third party requestors and former students can verify degree information and/or attendance dates by using the National Student Clearinghouse degree verify option.

Program Specific

If you are in need of specific verification information for professional licensure or certification, please contact the appropriate department.

Occupational Therapy
Physician Assistant
Physical Therapy Psychology

+Withdrawal from Courses

After the add/drop period, students have the option to withdraw from a course until the last day to withdraw deadline as posted on the Academic Calendar. A grade of W will be recorded on the transcript. This action must be completed by way of the add/drop/course withdrawal form available online under Documents & Forms on myChatham or in the University Registrar's Office.