Kathleen Spadaro, Ph.D., PMHCNS, RN
Hometown: Harrison City, PA
Joined Chatham: 2010
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Mindfulness meditation, wellness, weight management with healthcare related issues; psychiatric and behavioral healthcare; and promoting excellence in nursing academics
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Traveling, walking, reading, sports, spending time with family and friends
I have been teaching in the graduate nursing programs at Chatham University since 2010. I have a part-time psychotherapy practice in Murrysville, PA since 2000, receiving referrals from primary care physicians, social workers, nurses, insurance companies and past clients. I taught at the West Virginia University in the undergraduate psychiatric nursing courses in 2009. I started my teaching career in undergraduate geriatric nursing combined with psychiatric nursing at the University of Pittsburgh in 2008 following the completion of my PhD in Nursing. Prior to teaching I was a Research Investigator, University of Pittsburgh, SON from 2005-2007 in a mindfulness and breast cancer survivors research study. I have participated or was primary investigator in multiple research studies exploring mindfulness with weight loss, breast cancer/hot flashes, physical activity in middle-aged women, and nursing students. I also was involved with a postpartum depression telephone screening and management research study. In my prior life, my nursing focus was administrative and clinical in psychiatric nursing. As a program administrator, I developed a Women's Intensive Outpatient and Partial Hospitalization program at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC), developed mental health outpatient clinics for WPIC, and supported adult outpatient services at WPIC. I expanded an adolescent after school program into an Intensive Outpatient Program for adolescents in three locations. I have provided psychiatric services in various settings: inpatient, outpatient, intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization programs. I enjoy outdoor activities: hiking, walking, biking as well as reading, traveling, sporting events, and spending time with family and friends. Health and wellness are essential components of both my personal and professional life.
- BSN, Marymount University, 1981
- MEd, University of Virginia, 1986
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- Chatham University Research and Sabbaticals Committee (2011) funding award for research support
- Chatham University Research and Sabbaticals Committee (2013) funding award for research support
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, Continuing Education Committee Chair
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Chi Zeta
- Center for Contemplative Mind in Society
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association, Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- National League of Nurses
- Chatham University NHS, past President
- Psychiatric & Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- UPMC Cameos of Caring, Chatham Award Recipient, Fall 2016
- Nursing Honor Society officially became Chi Zeta Chapter of STTI in 2013
- Established the Chatham University Nursing Honor Society, approved May 2011 by Student Affairs
- Spadaro, Kathleen C., Wolf, Debra, Wu, Huixin, Hunker, Diane F. (2017). Preparing for an International Student Cohort: Making a Global Impact on Nursing, Nurse Education Today. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2017.06.014
- Hopkins, E., Spadaro, K. C., Walter, L., Wasco, J. J., Fisher, M. D., & Sterrett, S. E. (2017). Incivility in the online classroom: A guide for policy development. Nursing Forum, 1-7. doi:10.1111/nuf.12205
- Hopkins, E., Robb, M., Fisher, M., Slade, J., Wasco, J., Spadaro, K., & Doas, M. (2016). Honor society membership retention strategies: Promoting membership benefits from induction through transition to professional practice. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice (JNEP), 6(12), 18-23. Available at http://jnep.sciedupress.com
- Spadaro, K. C., & Hunker, D. F. (2016). Exploring the effects of an online asynchronous mindfulness meditation intervention with nursing students on stress, mood, and cognition: A descriptive study. Nurse Education Today, 39, 163-169. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.02.006
- BenDavid, D. N., Hunker, D. F., & Spadaro, K. C. (2016). Uncovering the golden veil: Applying the evidence for telephone screening to detect early postpartum depression. Journal of Perinatal Education, 25(1), 1-9.
- Hopkins, E. E., Wolf, D. M., Slade, J. D., Spadaro, K. C., Hunker, D. F., & Doas, M. (2015). Creating a virtual nursing honor society: Key technology design considerations. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice (JNEP), vol. 5(2), 131-135. DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v5n2p131.
- Conroy, M. B., Sward, K. L., Spadaro, K. C., Tudorascu, D., Karpov, I., Jones, B. L., Kriska, A. M., & Kapoor, W. N. (2014). Effectiveness of a physical activity and weight loss intervention for middle-aged women: Healthy bodies, healthy hearts randomized trial. Journal of General Internal Medicine. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-014-3077-5.
- Spadaro, K., Stevens, E., Doas, M., Slade, J., Wolf, D, & Hunker, D. (2014). A virtual nursing honor society: Recognition for online academic excellence. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice (JNEP), vol. 4(3), 197-203.
- Haines, J., Spadaro, K. C., Choi, J., Hoffman, L. A., & Blazek, A. M. (2014). Reducing stress and anxiety in caregivers of lung transplant patients: Benefits of mindfulness meditation. International Journal of Organ Transplant Medicine, 5(2), 50-56.
- Doas, M., Spadaro, K., & Stevens, E. (2014). Nursing honor societies: Past, present, and future. Journal of Nursing Care, 3(4).
- Slade, J. Wolf, D. Spadaro, K. & Gazza, E. (2013). “Using Social Media to Meet the Needs of DNP Preceptors within an Online Program”. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), vol. 17(2).
- Spadaro, K., Hamilton, R., Jakicic, J.M., Cohen, S. (2009). Taking Time Intentionally for the Self: Mindful Weight Loss. International Qualitative Health Research Conference, Vancouver, October 2009. Published in International Journal of Qualitative Methods. (2009), 8(4), 44.
- Spadaro, K. C. Weight Loss: Exploring Self-Regulation Through Mindfulness Meditation, [Dissertation], Proquest LLC. (2008), 1-246.
- Cohen, S.M., Sereika, S., Stubbs, M., Spadaro, K., Greco, C. (2008). Meditation for Menopausal Symptom Relief. (Abstract) Proceedings of the National Cancer Institute, March 2008.
- Davis, K., Jakicic, J.M., Otto, A., & Spadaro, K. (2008). The Impact of Mindfulness Meditation on Eating Behaviors and Weight Loss. (Abstract) 2008 Annual Scientific Meeting of The Obesity Society
- Hanusa, B.H., Hudson Scholle, S., Hasket, R.F., Spadaro, K. Wisner, K.L. (2008). “Comparison of Three Instruments to Screen for Postpartum Depression: the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, the Depression Module of the Patient Health Questionnaire, and the Postpartum Depression Screening Scale”. Journal of Women’s Health, 17(4), 585-596.
- Kiser, L.J., Trachta, A.M., Bragman, J.I., Curley-Spadaro, K, Cooke, J.D., Ramsland, S.E., & Fitzhugh, K.E. (1998). Level II Standards of Care: Intensive Outpatient Programs. American Association of Behavioral Healthcare.
- Robb, M., & Spadaro, K., (February, 2017). “Inside and outside of the box thinking: Strategies to promote engagement in online courses”. [Poster] presentation at the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2017 Master’s Education Conference in Atlanta, GA.
- Spadaro, K. & Robb, M. (February, 2017). “But can they think critically? Use of self-reflection in clinical courses”. [Podium] presentation at American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s 2017 Master’s Education Conference in Atlanta, GA.
- Robb, M., & Spadaro, K. (February, 2016). Thinking outside of the paper binder: ePortfolio use in graduate nursing education. American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2016 Master’s Education Conference Poster presentation in Houston, TX
- Spadaro, K. & Hunker, D.F. (February, 2015). Exploring the Effects of an Online Asynchronous Mindfulness Meditation Intervention on Nursing Students on Stress, Mood, and Cognition. Oral presentation at American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s 2015 Master’s Education Conference in St. Petersburg, FL.
- Spadaro, K. (2014, April). Mindfulness in Psychiatric Nursing. Oral presentation for American Psychiatric Nurses Association-Pennsylvania Chapter's annual conference: The State of the State: Current Issues in Psych/Mental Health Nursing in Philadelphia, PA.
- Spadaro, K., Hunker, D. F., Doas, M., Wolf, D., Slade, J. & Stevens, E. “Technology, Leadership and Professional Development: A Virtual Nursing Honor Society for Distance Learners”, Proceedings of the Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society’s 42nd Biennial Convention (16 November-20 November 2013).
- Spadaro, K. & Hunker, D. “Developing an Online Mindfulness Intervention for Distance Learners”. [Poster]. Proceedings of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Doctoral Education Conference, Naples, FL, January 2012.
- Conroy, M.B., Sward, K., Spadaro, K., Jones, B.L., Jeffrey, S., Kriska, A.M., & Kapoor, W.N. Effectiveness of a Primary Care Physical Activity Intervention for Obese, Middle-Aged Women: 12-Week Results from the Healthy Bodies, Healthy Hearts Study. Society of General Internal Medicine, 34th Annual Conference (May 7, 2011), podium presentation by the PI, Molly Conroy, PI, (Phoenix, Arizona).
- Spadaro, K., Sward, K., Jones, B.L., Jeffrey, S., & Conroy, M.B. (2011). Impact of Primary Care Physical Activity Intervention on Physical Activity Levels and Psychosocial Measures in Middle-Aged Women: The Healthy Bodies, Healthy Hearts Study. Behavioral Medicine: Accelerating our Impact on the Public’s Health, 32nd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions. Poster presentation (Washington, D.C.), April 2011.
- Spadaro, K., Sereika, S., Jakicic, J.M., Cohen, S. (2010). Mindfulness Meditation: An Innovative, Additional Strategy for Weight Loss. 21th International Nursing Research Congress Focusing on Evidence-Based Practice. Orlando, Florida, July 2010.
- Spadaro, K. (2010, May) Mindfulness in Nursing and Healthcare. Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Annual Meeting, West Virginia University.
- Spadaro, K. (2009, Dec.) Mindfulness in Primary Care Nursing. WVU Practice Plan Monthly meeting
- Spadaro, K. (2007, March). Working Women’s Health: Mind, Body, Spirit. UPMC St. Margaret’s Hospital Nursing Staff, Aspinwall, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (2007, March) Working Women’s Health: Mind, Body, Spirit. UPMC St. Margaret’s Hospital Nursing Staff, Aspinwall, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (2006, Spring & Fall). Mindfulness Meditation. UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital’s Breast Cancer Support Groups, Pittsburgh, PA
- Spadaro, K. (2004-2005). Postpartum Depression Screening. UPMC Health Plan Quality Assurance Committee, UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital OB/GYN physicians and staff.
- Spadaro, K. (2002). Postpartum Depression- Screening Tools and Resources &Referrals for Women, Western PA Women’s Health Providers, West Penn Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Spadaro, K. (1998). Level II Standards, Intensive Outpatient Programs, Keynote address and leader of two roundtable discussion groups on Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program”, Ohio Ambulatory Behavioral Healthcare Association 7th Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Spadaro, K. (1995). Adolescent Treatment: A Continuum of Care Model, American Association for Partial Hospitalization’s National Conference, Denver, Colorado.