Janet Bucey, OTD, OTR/L, SIPT
Joined Chatham: August 2017
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Mental health supports; quality of life; occupational justice; substance use interventions; inclusion and cultural sensitivity; professional development and training approaches
PERSONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Pursuit of personal wellness and positive mental health - yoga, meditation, whole foods eating, bicycling, running, and having coffee with friends!
Janet Bucey received her Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy from Temple University and her Clinical Doctorate (OTD) from Chatham University. Her occupational therapy clinical experience includes school, community, rehabilitation, acute care, neonatal, burn, and home care settings. She has specialty training in Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment, the use of therapeutic groups, Mental Health First Aid Instruction, and the Sensory Integration Praxis Test administration. Dr. Bucey was named Master Clinician in 2014 for the Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association, during which time she was the manager of her private school practice. She completed her OTD studying peer mentoring practice communities to promote professional development and innovative occupational therapy programming in schools. She has presented regularly at regional, national, and international conferences regarding collaboration in schools, sensory regulation, occupational science and justice, peer mentoring, and the use of therapeutic gardening to improve quality of life. While living in Germany, where she participated in European occupational therapy activities and hosted Chatham’s Global Perspectives in Germany, she developed professional relationships with European occupational therapy colleagues, which brought opportunities for Chatham occupational therapy students. Her scholarship includes the development of professional training and development approaches and studying wellness strategies. Janet is actively engaged with Chatham’s JED Campus initiatives.
- Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Master Clinician 2014
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy
- Sensory Integration Praxis Test Certification
- Mental Health First Aid Instructor
- Society for the Study of Occupational Science: USA
- Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists
- Stepansky, K., Delbert, T., & Bucey, J. (2021). Active student engagement within a university’s therapeutic sensory garden green space: Case studies of utilization on student quality of life. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening.
- Schudder, A., Bucey, J., Loughran, M., Korach, N., Strong, G., Anderson, J., Doas, M., Jameson, S., & O’Keefe, L. (2019). Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Expansion of Training to Non-Physician Healthcare Graduate Students: Counseling Psychology, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies. Substance Abuse. 10.1080/08897077.2019.1695705.
- Bucey, J. C., & Provident, I. M. (2018). Strengthening school-based occupational therapy through peer mentoring. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention, 11(1), 87–105.
- Delbert, T., Bucey, J. C., Stepansky, K. (2022, October 20). Cultivating wellbeing and connectedness: A university-based therapeutic sensory garden study. Poster session at SSO: USA Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Bucey, J., Todd, J., Delbert, T., & Stepansky, K. (2022, October 22). The study of occupation through wicked action learning teams: Strengthening occupational science translation for action. Forum session at the SSO: USA Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Bucey, J., Delbert, T., & Stepansky, K. (2021, November). The impact of a sensory garden on university students living and doing. Dialogue session at Occupational Science of Europe Conference, virtual.
- Bucey, J., Delbert, T., & Stepansky, K. (2020, March). Cultivating community collaborations & mentoring student leadership: A case study of a therapeutic sensory garden. Poster session accepted for American Occupational Therapy Conference, Boston, MA.
- Bucey, J., Poindexter, M., & Strong, G. (2020, October 2). Skills for Effective Encounters: The SBIRT Training Model [Webinar] California University 2020 Addictions Conference.