Ahmed El Sergani
Hometown: Cairo, Egypt
Joined Chatham: July 2021
ACADEMIC AREAS OF INTEREST
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Integrated Clinical Education, Clinical Applications of the Basic Sciences, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences
Dr. Sergani graduated with academic distinction with high honors from the Faculty of Oral & Dental Medicine at Misr International University. He went on to become a clinician-scientist through acquiring both advanced clinical and research training. His academic career is focused on bridging together the clinical and basic science worlds. Specifically, his research focuses on answering clinical and diagnostic questions using the study of biological shape and form of the face and surrounding structures. This serves in risk and outcome assessment for different conditions affecting the craniofacial complex. In addition, his teaching is focused on the clinical applications of basic sciences and their integration into clinical education, namely Anatomy, Physiology and underlying Pathophysiology.
- University of Pittsburgh, Ph.D., 2020
- Arab Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2019
- Membership of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (MOMS RSCEd), The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2017
- Bachelor of Oral & Dental Medicine, Misr International University (Cairo, Egypt), 2012
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Teaching and Learning: Achievement in Pedagogy
- Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL): Practitioner
- Liu D, Ban HJ, El Sergani AM, Lee MK, Hecht JT, Wehby GL, Moreno LM, Feingold E, Marazita ML, Cha S, Szabo-Rogers HL, Weinberg SM, Shaffer JR. PRICKLE1 × FOCAD Interaction Revealed by Genome-Wide vQTL Analysis of Human Facial Traits. Front Genet. 2021 Aug 9;12:674642. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.674642. PMID: 34434215; PMCID: PMC8381734.
- Nauwelaers N, Matthews H, Fan Y, Croquet B, Hoskens H, Mahdi S, El Sergani A, Gong S, Xu T, Bronstein M, Marazita M, Weinberg S, Claes P. Exploring palatal and dental shape variation with 3D shape analysis and geometric deep learning. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2021 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12521. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34310057.
- El Sergani AM, Brandebura S, Padilla C, Butali A, Adeyemo WL, Valencia-Ramírez C, Muñeton CPR, Moreno LM, Buxó CJ, Long RE Jr, Neiswanger K, Shaffer JR, Marazita ML, Weinberg SM. Parents of Children With Nonsyndromic Orofacial Clefting Show Altered Palate Shape. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2021 Jul;58(7):847-853. doi: 10.1177/1055665620967235. Epub 2020 Oct 28. PMID: 33111571; PMCID: PMC8079510.
- El Sergani AM, Anderton J, Brandebura S, Obniski M, Ginart MT, Padilla C, Butali A, Adeyemo WL, Long RE Jr, Moreno LM, Marazita ML, Weinberg SM. Prevalence of Torus Palatinus and association with dental arch shape in a multi-ethnic cohort. Homo. 2020 Nov 30;71(4):273-280. doi: 10.1127/homo/2020/1316. PMID: 33146661; PMCID: PMC7674192.
- Croquet B, Matthews H, Mertens J, Fan Y, Nauwelaers N, Mahdi S, Hoskens H, El Sergani A, Xu T, Vandermeulen D, Bronstein M, Marazita M, Weinberg S, Claes P. Automated landmarking for palatal shape analysis using geometric deep learning. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2021 Jun 25. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12513. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34169645.
- El Sergani AM, Brandebura S, Padilla C, Butali A, Adeyemo WL, Valencia-Ramírez C, Muñeton CPR, Moreno LM, Buxó CJ, Neiswanger K, Shaffer JR, Marazita ML, Weinberg SM. The Influence of Sex and Ancestry on Three-Dimensional Palate Shape. J Craniofac Surg. 2021 Jul 7. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000007796. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34231514.