Optional Practical Information
Optional Practical Training – OPT is off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students who have been studying in the U.S. for at least one year. Almost all students save their OPT time to use after graduation. Students receive 12 months of OPT at each level of education – Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. Authorization is granted by USCIS. Information sessions are held at the beginning of each semester.
Procedures for applying for OPT at Chatham.
- Attend OPT workshop or set up meeting with Office of International Affairs.
- Make appointment with Office of International Affairs and review the OPT application package
- Download required forms from myChatham: I–765, I–538
- Bring completed items to OPT appointment (including graduation verification form)
- After appointment, mail off OPT package. Check to be sure you have include all items on the mailing checklist. (package needs to be received within 30 days of OPT I-20 processing date)
Please contact the Office of International Affairs at email@example.com with questions about being at Chatham as an international student.