Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
The Master of Arts in Teaching program is designed for women and men planning teaching careers in:
- Early childhood (N-3rd grade)
- Elementary (K-6th grade)
- Secondary (7th-12th grade)
- Areas of study: biology, chemistry, English, mathematics, social studies, and physics
- Special education (pending PDE approval)
- Environmental education (K-12th grade)
- Art education (K-12th grade)
The MAT program is based on the premise that successful teachers will need a strong liberal arts education, in-depth knowledge of a chosen discipline, and mastery of current educational theory, practice, and technology.
Applicants’ transcripts will be reviewed to determine whether students have completed the academic requirements specified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education in the standards for the desired certification area. All undergraduate requirements for certification in a given area need to be completed before a student is fully accepted into the MAT program.