Entry-Level DPT Admission Requirements
Applying to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program
Applicants to Chatham University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program must use the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). PTCAS will allow applicants to apply to professional programs using a single online application, one set of transcripts, and one set of references. Applications may be submitted at www.ptcas.org beginning July 1, 2016. Please have your official GRE scores sent directly to PTCAS using school code 0412. Applications will not be considered complete without current GRE scores. Completed applications will be considered for admission only if they are e-submitted to PTCAS by the October 3rd deadline. Please be advised that PTCAS involves a long processing time. It is in your best interest to submit all materials as early as possible, but we highly recommend e-submitting on or before September 15th.
Application deadlines for Fall 2017 entry into the program
Deadline: Monday, October 3, 2016
Interview Date: Saturday, November 12, 2016 by invitation only
Please note applicants need to have completed at least 60% (24 credits) of the prerequisites at the time of application in order to be considered for an interview. The complete, verified application must be available for us to review in time to be considered for our required on-campus interview.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative prerequisite course grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale; grades less than a “C” are not acceptable in prerequisite courses
- Cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better on a scale of 4.0, as calculated by PTCAS
- GRE score - Applications will not be considered complete without current GRE scores
- Required prerequisite courses:
- Biology with lab - two terms
- Chemistry with lab - two terms
- Physics with lab - two terms
- Physiology with lab (prefer human) - one term*
- Human Anatomy with lab - one term*
- Developmental Psychology
- On-campus writing sample and interview
- Official transcripts verifying cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Evidence of volunteer/work experience in physical therapy setting(s) must be included in the PTCAS application
- Three (3) letters of reference: two from faculty and one from a physical therapist OR one from faculty and two from physical therapists
Admission Review Process
After verifying that the minimum academic requirements are met, the Physical Therapy program reviews each candidate's entire application and invites the most talented and qualified students to interview before program faculty and alumni. As part of the admission review, Chatham reserves the right to request a background check prior to offer of admission.
Fall 2015 Accepted Student Profile
|Number of Applicants:||436|
|Average Overall GPA:||3.66|
|Average Prerequisite GPA:||3.65|
|Average Combined GRE:||301|
|Average Writing GRE:||4.03|
Chatham University has entered into "Articulation Agreements" with a select group of Colleges and Universities. These agreements provide for additional student pre-professional advisement and possible priority admission status for candidates with exceptional applications, demonstrating academic preparation above the minimal acceptable standards. Agreements exist with the following institutions for the 2015-2016 academic year: Allegheny College, Baldwin Wallace University, Mount Aloysius College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Saint Vincent College, Washington and Jefferson College, and Waynesburg University. Applicants from these institutions are advised to discuss the articulation requirements with their advisor as well as the graduate admission counselor at Chatham University.
The Physical Therapy Program strives for diversity and gender equity within each class.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Admission Department:
Office of Admission
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
(412) 365-1609 (fax)