Chatham University

Information for Current Chatham Students

Integrated Degree Program

An IDP is an accelerated program that allows qualified students to save time and money by taking graduate courses during their senior year at a reduced cost, while earning both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Chatham in as few as five years.

Q: How can current Chatham students do an IDP?

A: During the fall of your third year*, you will:

  • apply to the graduate program you want to join
  • complete the Accelerated Graduate Program Academic Advisor Recommendation Form
  • complete the online IDP Intention Form
  • If accepted, you'll take both graduate and undergraduate courses during your senior year.

Q: I see how I can save money with an IDP, but how does it help me earn my graduate degree faster?

A: An IDP helps you earn your graduate degree faster by allowing electives that you take during your senior year to count double-both towards your undergraduate degree, and toward your graduate degree.

That means that while you're finishing the 120 credits for your undergraduate degree, you're also chipping away at the number of credits that you'll need for your graduate degree.

This double-duty, combined with the fact that IDP students have to manage credits efficiently during their first three years, means that they may earn their master's degree one full year earlier compared with pursuing both degrees separately.

Q: What are the requirements?

A: Requirements and deadlines depend on the program that you're applying to. Find them here.

Q: How would an IDP impact my financial aid?

A: Because you're considered an undergraduate student until you reach 120 credits (this number may be different for transfer students), you pay the undergraduate tuition rate and receive your undergraduate student aid (including Chatham scholarships, Chatham grants, Federal PELL grant, State Grant and Federal Student loans) until you reach 120 credits.

That means that if, during your senior year, you have 108 undergraduate credits and are ready to start taking graduate courses, you can take 12 credits of graduate coursework that:

  • is still billed at the undergraduate rate
  • you can still use your undergraduate student aid to pay for

After you complete 120 credits, you will be considered a graduate student. That means that you will no longer be eligible for Chatham-based aid such as scholarships and grants, but you would still be eligible for federal financial aid in the form of Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan and (upon credit approval) the Graduate PLUS Loan. Unfortunately, the federal government does not provide grants for graduate students.

Please note that graduate students are billed differently than undergraduate students. While most graduate programs are billed per credit, some health science programs are billed a flat rate tuition per term. To learn more about the tuition and fee rate for graduate programs please visit the Graduate Tuition page. We encourage you to stop by the Office of Financial Aid for one-on-one reviews of your account and how you can finance an IDP.

Q: I'm a current Chatham student. Can I do the Doctor of Physical Therapy program as an IDP?

A: While the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree is not available as a standard-track IDP per se, if you're an undergraduate student and wish to pursue the degree after you finish 120 credits, you can have access to exercise science and physical therapy faculty members who will help advise you and work with you to optimize your application. To learn more, talk to your academic advisor.

Q: What majors and graduate programs are available for an IDP?

A: While we encourage students in any major who are performing well academically and are interested in an IDP to discuss it with their advisor, here are some common pathways:

If your major is: You can get your:
Exercise Science Doctor of Physical Therapy
Master of Science in Athletic Training
Biology Master of Science in Biology
Master of Physician Assistant Studies
Psychology Master of Occupational Therapy
Master of Science in Counseling Psychology
Master of Arts in Psychology
Biochemistry Master of Science in Biology
Master of Science in Green Chemistry
Chemistry Master of Science in Green Chemistry
Education Master of Arts in Teaching
Master of Education in Special Education
Business Master of Accounting
Master of Business Administration
Master of Professional Writing
Interior Architecture Master of Science in Interior Architecture
Communication Master of Professional Writing
English Master of Professional Writing
MFA in Creative Writing
Master of Communication
Creative Writing MFA in Creative Writing
Master of Communication
Media Arts: film & digital technology, graphic design, or photography MFA in Film & Digital Technology
Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Design
Sustainability Master of Sustainability
Master of Arts in Food Studies

Did you know?

Masters programs that commonly admit students from a wide range of majors include:

  • Master of Business Administration
  • Master of Interior Architecture
  • Master of Professional Writing
  • Master of Communication

Q: Are varsity athletes eligible for the IDP?

A: Students may participate in a varsity sport during the undergraduate portion of the IDP. If you're interested in managing an NCAA sport and an IDP, talk to your graduate academic advisor and your coach.

Visit MyChatham to learn more, including about program-specific requirements and deadlines.