Communication Faculty and Staff
Katie Cruger Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Program Director, Master of Professional Writing
Joined Chatham : 2011
Academic Areas of Interest
Environmental Justice, Environmental Communication, Rhetoric, New Media, Organizational Communication, (New) Parenthood, Worry Work
Personal Areas of Interest
Gardening (Allegheny County Certified Master Gardener), Food Preservation, Animals Rights, Social Justice.
Personal Website : Visit Website
Katie Cruger earned her Ph.D. in Communication and Rhetoric from the University of Colorado at Boulder. Her research focuses on Environmental Justice concerns here in Allegheny county as well as nationally. Katie is currently engaging in a qualitative interview project exploring experiences of new parents at work and at home. She teaches courses in environmental communication, media history, public relations, and strategic communication. Dr. Cruger also directs the first year communication seminar at Chatham, the Professional Writing MA degree program, and coordinates the Communication MA degree program.
- Ph.D., University of Colorado (Boulder, CO), 2011.
- M.A., University of Colorado (Boulder, CO), 2008.
- B.A., Marymount Manhattan College (New York, NY), 2005.
- Cruger, Katherine M. (2016, Forthcoming). "The Student-Run Environmental Communication Blog," in Environmental Communication Pedagogy and Practice. Tema Milstein, Mairi Pileggi, & Eric Morgan (Eds.) Taylor & Francis.
- Cruger, Katherine M. and Mike H. Finewood (2014). “’Blue is the New Green’: Representational Space and the Effective Co-optation of Environmental Justice Discourses in Pennsylvania’s Unconventional Natural Gas Drilling” Human Geography, 7, (3), 26-43.
- Cruger, Katherine M. (December 2010). “Umm, the Glory of Whatever”: Making Meaning, Militarism, and Ambivalence at the United States Air Force Memorial. Dale Sullivan, and Russel Hirst (eds.) Revisiting the Past Through the Rhetorics of Memory and Amnesia. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- National Communication Association
- Founding Member, International Environmental Communication Association
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- Pennsylvania Communication Association
- Cruger, K. (2015, November). "Challenge-Based Learning in the Feminist Communication Classroom." National Communication Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL. (Featured on Top Papers in Instructional Studies Panel)
- Cruger, K. (2015, June). Selling Fracking: Oil and Gas Industry Rhetorics of Sustainability, Justice, and Home. Peer-reviewed paper presented at the biannual Conference on Communication and the Environment, hosted by the International Environmental Communication Association. Boulder, Colorado.
- Cruger, K.M. and Finewood, M. (2013, June). “Blue is the New Green”: Neoliberal Logics and Cooptation of Environmental Justice in the Pennsylvania Fracking Debate. Peer reviewed paper presented at the biannual Conference on Communication and the Environment, hosted by the International Environmental Communication Association. Uppsala, Sweden. Top Three Paper Panel.
- Cruger, K.M. (2012, February). “Bigger, Better, and Stronger than Before”: Collective Memory, National Identity, and the Resilient American. Peer reviewed paper presented at the annual meeting of the Western States Communication Association. Albuquerque, NM.
- Cruger, K.M. (2011, November). ‘New Racism’ and Rhetorics of Normalized Whiteness: Critical Exploration of Media Narratives of Disaster in Greensburgh and the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans. Peer reviewed paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Communication Association. New Orleans, LA.