PACE Center Writing Center
The Writing Center can assist with all phases of the writing process. Typical Writing Center services include:
- Brainstorming/pre-writing strategies
- Outlining and organization techniques
- Assignment focus
- Essay components: introduction/conclusion, thesis statements, body paragraphs
- APA, MLA, or Chicago style formatting
- Citations and references
- Understanding instructor feedback
- The revision process
- Understanding and avoiding plagiarism
- Grammar, spelling, and mechanics
A sample paper with comments and suggestions for improvement can be found here. Papers are returned in PDF format, which allows students to view changes and comments, but encourages their active learning and participation in the revision process.
The PACE Center is dedicated to encouraging active learning and upholding academic integrity. For these reasons, the Writing Center is not a proof reading service. Our staff members are trained to help students by pointing out and explaining the first one or two instances of a mistake. After that, they will encourage the student to find and correct these mistakes throughout the rest of the paper.
Doctoral students can click here for a list of external, fee-based editors and proofreading services.
View our full Writing Center policies here.